[LinkStation_General] Data Transfer Speed

  • Gary Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12 5:49 AM
      Is there anyway to check the speed at which my Linkstaiton is working. Its the original HD-HGLAN (HG) model.

      Data Transfer speed seems at times to be very very slow. I've rebooted the Linkstation but this doesnt seem to have helped. I don't use the USB printer option - which I had seen somewhere may cause problems.

      I've recently added a 1TB Drive Station to the USB port and moving data from the LinkStation to the DriveStation is taking for ever.

      Any advice would be much appreciated.

      Thanks

    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 12 11:50 AM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Smith" <gary@...>
        wrote:

        > Is there anyway to check the speed at which my Linkstaiton is
        working. Its
        > the original *HD-HGLAN
        > (HG)*<http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Category:HG> model.
        >

        > Data Transfer speed seems at times to be very very slow. I've
        rebooted the
        > Linkstation but this doesnt seem to have helped. I don't use the
        USB printer
        > option - which I had seen somewhere may cause problems.
        >
        > I've recently added a 1TB Drive Station to the USB port and moving
        data from
        > the LinkStation to the DriveStation is taking for ever.
        >
        > Any advice would be much appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks

        I cannot attest to the transfer speeds of the unit (I've read arount
        7Mbps, but I don't know), however I think that your issue with
        transfers from the Linkstation to the USB drivestation are slow
        because you are initiating the request from your PC.

        I am assuming what you are doing is opening a windows explorer view
        of your Linkstation and copying that data to a windows explorer view
        of the drivestation.

        If so, the data is transferring from the Linkstation, to your
        machine, then to the drivestation. This happens because Samba/CIFS
        does not support direct file movement between different samba shares
        on the server.

        In my opinion, if you want to achieve quick transfers from the
        Linkstation to your usb drivestation, you should gain telnet access
        to the device, and initiate the movement of data from inside the
        linkstation.

        If you are intending to perform backups instead, from the linkstation
        to the drivestation, then setting up rsync in the device would be
        suggested (again through a telnet session).

        More information can be found on this page, http://buffalo.nas-
        central.org/index.php/Category:OpenLink
        which discusses installing the firmware with telnet support.
        But caution with the HG, there is a series that was prone to
        bricking, so see this page as well.
        http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Non_Flashable_HD-HG300

        Hope this helps
      • Rogério Brito
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 12 1:52 PM
          Hi, Gary.

          wrote:
          > Is there anyway to check the speed at which my Linkstaiton is
          > working. Its
          > the original *HD-HGLAN
          > (HG)*<http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Category:HG> model.

          I don't know how you're using your Linkstation. On my "pure Debian"
          standard kurobox, I have many utilities which I installed and one of
          them is mii-tool (I'm a die-hard Unix user).

          If you don't have this one, ethtool is also able to tell you with
          which speed you're connected and if you're using full duplex or not.

          Hope this helps, Rogério Brito.

        • g_m_s
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 12 2:11 PM
            <musikgoat@...> wrote:
            > In my opinion, if you want to achieve quick transfers from the
            > Linkstation to your usb drivestation, you should gain telnet access
            > to the device, and initiate the movement of data from inside the
            > linkstation.

            To expand a tiny bit on what MusikGoat wrote, you need to download
            ACP_COMMANDER from SourceForge. It's a Java applet. You run it from a
            DOS/Windows command prompt. This unlocks Telnet on the Linkstation.
            You usually only have to run acp_commander once (until your LS is next
            rebooted). Before running it, you must turn off your PC's firewall, or
            modify your firewall to open the correct ports. I find it easier to
            just turn off the f/w while running telnet.

            After acp_commander says you can get into your LS, you run Telnet [ip
            address of LS] at a command prompt on your pc. Then you can move files
            between folders and shares of the LS. Here are a few things you may
            need to know if you're not familiar with Linux.

            LS command is like "dir" command in Dos/Windows

            LS -l gives a detailed listing

            If you just type "ls" at a prompt, you won't appear to get anything,
            because you're above the root. "ls /" will give you the contents of
            the root. "ls /mnt/" will give you the volumes of drives. If your LS
            has raid, "ls /mnt/array1" lists the contents of the raid
            array. "ls /mnt/usbdisk1" lists contents of usb disk one.

            CP command is like "xcopy" in Dos/Windows

            CHMOD lets you modify permissions on files and folders.
            *EVERYTHING* in Linux is case sensitive, so wear a motorcycle helmet
            if you dont' want to pull out all your hair in frustration

            I can move about 20gb of stuff from usb to main array in about 5
            minutes. Using Windows explorer, it could take over a half hour.

            I'm still a noob at Linkstations and Linux, so ask guru's like
            Musikgoat for specific details.