Re: FTP Functionality of Firmware Replacements

  • g_m_s
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5 7:40 PM
      <musikgoat@...> wrote:
      > Most people suggest exactly what you've done, which is to move the
      > files locally through either telnet or ssh.

      I've never used SSH. Would moving files through SSH be any *easier*?
      Or is using SSH merely more private/secure?
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6 12:41 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "g_m_s"
        <graystrickland@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
        > <musikgoat@> wrote:
        > > Most people suggest exactly what you've done, which is to move the
        > > files locally through either telnet or ssh.
        >
        > I've never used SSH. Would moving files through SSH be any *easier*?
        > Or is using SSH merely more private/secure?

        Its equivilent to telnet over a secure channel. recommended if you
        setup internet access to that process.

        You wouldn't want to run telnet over the internet.

        locally, it should be fine.

        It involves some manipulation in the system files to run sshd at
        startup, and you would have to port forward in the router for internet
        access. (use a non-default port if using from the internet, and make
        sure root is not accessible for logging in from ssh.

        But that would be unnecessary for a once-in-a-while file manipulation
        process.