Re: FTP Functionality of Firmware Replacements

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "g_m_s"
      <graystrickland@...> wrote:

      > The FTP server of the stock firmware of the Linkstation Pro Duo is
      > such that if you use an FTP client to move files:
      >
      > * from one share or folder on the LS to another share or folder on
      > the LS; or
      > * from one share or folder on the LS to a share or folder on an
      > attached USB drive (or vice versa)
      >
      > The data is moved from the LS, over the network, to the pc where the
      > ftp client is running, back over the network were it is written to
      the
      > LS. That is *crazy*. If you use acp_commander and telnet to move the
      > data around, it moves at light speed, if it is only between shares
      or
      > folders on the main drive array; slightly slower if going from the
      > main array to usb or vice versa. I don't understand why the FTP
      client
      > doesn't instruct the FTP server just to modify the file allocation
      > table (or whatever the equivilant is in Linux). What takes seconds
      > with Telnet can take over an hour with the stock FTP client.
      >
      > Is the FTP server which comes with any of the modified firmwares
      > (openlink, freelink, etc.) such that it would move files around the
      > linkstation at the same speed as Telnet does? If so, what firmware?

      Hello,

      No, all firmwares currently support any of the common FTP server
      software (predominently ProFTPd) which none support moving files from
      one location on the server to another location. FTP is a
      client/server protocol, which only supports transactions from client
      to server or back. not from two different locations on the server.

      Its unfortunate, as it would be a great method to move data from USB
      to the local disk of the LS, but unfortunately, its not a
      functionality that can be performed.

      Most people suggest exactly what you've done, which is to move the
      files locally through either telnet or ssh.

      Hope this helps :-)
      -Tim
    • g_m_s
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2008
        <musikgoat@...> wrote:
        > Most people suggest exactly what you've done, which is to move the
        > files locally through either telnet or ssh.

        I've never used SSH. Would moving files through SSH be any *easier*?
        Or is using SSH merely more private/secure?
      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2008
          <graystrickland@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "musikgoat"
          > <musikgoat@> wrote:
          > > Most people suggest exactly what you've done, which is to move the
          > > files locally through either telnet or ssh.
          >
          > I've never used SSH. Would moving files through SSH be any *easier*?
          > Or is using SSH merely more private/secure?

          Its equivilent to telnet over a secure channel. recommended if you
          setup internet access to that process.

          You wouldn't want to run telnet over the internet.

          locally, it should be fine.

          It involves some manipulation in the system files to run sshd at
          startup, and you would have to port forward in the router for internet
          access. (use a non-default port if using from the internet, and make
          sure root is not accessible for logging in from ssh.

          But that would be unnecessary for a once-in-a-while file manipulation
          process.