Installing missing files on the linkstation from the Kuro image files.

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2004
      I spent some quality time last night doing some Linkstation/Kuro research
      and thought I'd share what I found although many of you are most likely way
      ahead of me.

      On the kuroutoshikou website I found the latest images files for the Kuro.

      http://www.kuroutoshikou.com/products/kuro-box/kuro_102.zip

      These files are the kuro equivalents of the firmimg.bin & image.dat
      linkstation files that we used to upgrade the linkstation to 1.44 to gain
      telnet access, although image.dat is named image.zip and is not
      password protected like it's linkstation equivalent.

      Since image.zip is not password protected it was easy to expand the
      files all the way out to individual files and directory on my PC.

      Starting with /bin noticed the su executable and copied it over the /bin
      on the linkstation. I also had to issue 'chmod u+s su' to change the
      permissions before it would work correctly. Anyway this seems to
      me like a good way to get the missing files installed onto the
      linkstation while attempting to remain distribution pure.

      I also found a program in /bin named setifmac. I have not had a
      chance to try it but I'm thinking that by changing the MAC address to
      that of a Kuro that KuroBoxUpdate will then find the Linkstation and
      install the Kuro images. Just a thought... Anyone have a Kuro MAC
      address I can try?

      JR
    • Sasha
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2004
        I also copied a few binaries from kuro_102.zip and they worked on
        linkstation. However it does not include ssh that I needed.

        I found file http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
        It has ssh, gcc, nfs and lot of other packages for kuro box.
        Ssh client and server work perfect on the linkstation and I guess
        other packages should work as well (I have not tried anything else yet.)