Re: Is anyone home?

  • sheller185
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
      ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
      online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
      a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
      stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
      mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
      to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
      videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
      and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
      to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
      them. thank you in advance.
      -steve
      <wartstew@...> wrote:

      > I think most people have migrated over to the LinkStation Wiki,
      > (http://buffalo.nas-central.org), which has grown rather huge over the
      > last few years.
      >
      > Today it incorporates all devices sold as a "Network Accessed Storage"
      > (NAS) device. However it all started with the Buffalo Linkstation,
      > and the whole [English speaking] community around it grew out of this
      > Yahoo group. So even though this Yahoo group is fading in
      > significance, let's not forget that it started this whole community!
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185"
      > <sheller185@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey,
      > >
      > > Is anyone still on here actually active or is it all just spam
      > > accounts? PLEASE let me know because I have some questions on how to
      > > network the linkstation using hamachi. Thank you!

    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185" <sheller185@...> wrote:

        > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
        > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
        > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
        > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
        > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
        > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
        > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
        > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
        > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
        > them. thank you in advance.
        > -steve

        An ssh tunnel maybe. Check out my
        http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/documentation/README-openvpn.txt on OpenVPN

        -André
      • ramuklinkstation
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 13, 2008
          <sheller185@...> wrote:

          > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
          > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
          > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
          > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
          > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
          > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
          > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
          > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
          > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
          > them. thank you in advance.
          > -steve

          Well first, the DOD is making those restrictions precisely to prevent
          him from doing things like this.

          regardless the newest LS Live firmware has a Shared web access feature
          http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/our-technology/web-access/

          I don't know if it's secured in the same way that OpenVPN (or even
          PoPToP) would be but it would probably be the easiest way. At some
          point depending on data movement, the website/IP that you end up using
          may end up being blocked (corporations do this all the time when they
          see large data flows to unknown IP/servers)