Re: Is anyone home?

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
      Ask away, what are you trying to accomplish, and what have you done.

      It will help to understand what Linkstatation model you are working
      with and what distrobution (firmware) you have installed on the
      linkstation.

      I have setup himachi on a couple linux boxes, but not on my LS Pro,
      but anyone listening will be glad to help, I'm sure.

      -tim

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
        I think most people have migrated over to the LinkStation Wiki,
        (http://buffalo.nas-central.org), which has grown rather huge over the
        last few years.

        Today it incorporates all devices sold as a "Network Accessed Storage"
        (NAS) device. However it all started with the Buffalo Linkstation,
        and the whole [English speaking] community around it grew out of this
        Yahoo group. So even though this Yahoo group is fading in
        significance, let's not forget that it started this whole community!

        <sheller185@...> wrote:

        > Hey,
        >
        > Is anyone still on here actually active or is it all just spam
        > accounts? PLEASE let me know because I have some questions on how to
        > network the linkstation using hamachi. Thank you!

      • sheller185
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
          ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
          online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
          a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
          stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
          mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
          to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
          videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
          and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
          to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
          them. thank you in advance.
          -steve
          <wartstew@...> wrote:

          > I think most people have migrated over to the LinkStation Wiki,
          > (http://buffalo.nas-central.org), which has grown rather huge over the
          > last few years.
          >
          > Today it incorporates all devices sold as a "Network Accessed Storage"
          > (NAS) device. However it all started with the Buffalo Linkstation,
          > and the whole [English speaking] community around it grew out of this
          > Yahoo group. So even though this Yahoo group is fading in
          > significance, let's not forget that it started this whole community!
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185"
          > <sheller185@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey,
          > >
          > > Is anyone still on here actually active or is it all just spam
          > > accounts? PLEASE let me know because I have some questions on how to
          > > network the linkstation using hamachi. Thank you!

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185" <sheller185@...> wrote:

            > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
            > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
            > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
            > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
            > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
            > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
            > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
            > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
            > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
            > them. thank you in advance.
            > -steve

            An ssh tunnel maybe. Check out my
            http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/documentation/README-openvpn.txt on OpenVPN

            -André
          • ramuklinkstation
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 13, 2008
              <sheller185@...> wrote:

              > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
              > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
              > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
              > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
              > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
              > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
              > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
              > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
              > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
              > them. thank you in advance.
              > -steve

              Well first, the DOD is making those restrictions precisely to prevent
              him from doing things like this.

              regardless the newest LS Live firmware has a Shared web access feature
              http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/our-technology/web-access/

              I don't know if it's secured in the same way that OpenVPN (or even
              PoPToP) would be but it would probably be the easiest way. At some
              point depending on data movement, the website/IP that you end up using
              may end up being blocked (corporations do this all the time when they
              see large data flows to unknown IP/servers)