Is anyone home?

  • sheller185
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 22, 2008
      Hey,

      Is anyone still on here actually active or is it all just spam
      accounts? PLEASE let me know because I have some questions on how to
      network the linkstation using hamachi. Thank you!
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 23, 2008
        Ask away, what are you trying to accomplish, and what have you done.

        It will help to understand what Linkstatation model you are working
        with and what distrobution (firmware) you have installed on the
        linkstation.

        I have setup himachi on a couple linux boxes, but not on my LS Pro,
        but anyone listening will be glad to help, I'm sure.

        -tim

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185"

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25, 2008
          I think most people have migrated over to the LinkStation Wiki,
          (http://buffalo.nas-central.org), which has grown rather huge over the
          last few years.

          Today it incorporates all devices sold as a "Network Accessed Storage"
          (NAS) device. However it all started with the Buffalo Linkstation,
          and the whole [English speaking] community around it grew out of this
          Yahoo group. So even though this Yahoo group is fading in
          significance, let's not forget that it started this whole community!

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
            ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
            online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
            a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
            stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
            mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
            to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
            videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
            and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
            to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
            them. thank you in advance.
            -steve
            <wartstew@...> wrote:

            > I think most people have migrated over to the LinkStation Wiki,
            > (http://buffalo.nas-central.org), which has grown rather huge over the
            > last few years.
            >
            > Today it incorporates all devices sold as a "Network Accessed Storage"
            > (NAS) device. However it all started with the Buffalo Linkstation,
            > and the whole [English speaking] community around it grew out of this
            > Yahoo group. So even though this Yahoo group is fading in
            > significance, let's not forget that it started this whole community!
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185"
            > <sheller185@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hey,
            > >
            > > Is anyone still on here actually active or is it all just spam
            > > accounts? PLEASE let me know because I have some questions on how to
            > > network the linkstation using hamachi. Thank you!

          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "sheller185" <sheller185@...> wrote:

              > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
              > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
              > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
              > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
              > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
              > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
              > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
              > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
              > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
              > them. thank you in advance.
              > -steve

              An ssh tunnel maybe. Check out my
              http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/documentation/README-openvpn.txt on OpenVPN

              -André
            • ramuklinkstation
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 13 7:54 AM
                <sheller185@...> wrote:

                > ok what i am really looking to do is network my linkstation live
                > online. my friend is going to iraq in the army. he is allowed to bring
                > a laptop and will have internet accesss, but he cannot have anything
                > stored on his harddrive. i wanted to be able to allow him access to a
                > mapped drive to store information and media so that he has something
                > to do while he is out there. this will also allow him to send back
                > videos of what he is doing out there. i was trying to research hamachi
                > and have been unable to get it to work, are there any other solutions
                > to my problem? i know a vpn might work but i am not very familiar with
                > them. thank you in advance.
                > -steve

                Well first, the DOD is making those restrictions precisely to prevent
                him from doing things like this.

                regardless the newest LS Live firmware has a Shared web access feature
                http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/our-technology/web-access/

                I don't know if it's secured in the same way that OpenVPN (or even
                PoPToP) would be but it would probably be the easiest way. At some
                point depending on data movement, the website/IP that you end up using
                may end up being blocked (corporations do this all the time when they
                see large data flows to unknown IP/servers)