Newbie with old linkstation

  • gadgetgazz
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
      Hello, everyone. I just obtained a linkstation with the model number
      HD-HG300LAN which I know is a discontinued model.
      I am amazed (but not really surprised) at all the good stuff you guys
      can do with these linux boxes.
      What I would like to know is this, can I hack this old box with the
      stuff you are doing with the newer Linkstations?
      My main wish would be to run slimserver (SqueezeCenter).
      There is such a lot of info I will enjoy looking through but if the
      box can't be hacked there won't be much point.
      Thanks to anyone who replies.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "gadgetgazz" <g@...> wrote:

        > Hello, everyone. I just obtained a linkstation with the model number
        > HD-HG300LAN ... can I hack this old box with the
        > stuff you are doing with the newer Linkstations?

        > My main wish would be to run slimserver (SqueezeCenter).

        Sorry about the delayed response. I think your Linkstation is a
        Power-PC based unit (please verify that however). This means that you
        can do the most hacking with it as compared with any other models.
        Most people refer to the http://buffalo.nas-central.org site for lots
        of great information on all this. Hopefully you have discovered it by
        now and are on your way putting your HG-Lan LS to good use!
      • Garry Kelsall
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 25, 2008
          Yes, many thanks James. I sorted it in the meantime. I already flashed it with Openlink and installed Slimserver on it. Sweet.
          Gaz