Re: Dear moderators

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cook_mysock"
      <cook_mysock@...> wrote:

      > Any chance you could bounce the guys who just sign up here in order to
      > send spam out to the real members?

      Our intentions are to delete, remove, and ban any spammers from the
      group as soon as they are caught. There may be days that we cannot
      catch the spammer until one of us are at a machine, though.

      You can have an impact by flagging spam if its inconvenient enough for
      your to visit the site and flag it. If not, we will remove it, but
      that doesn't stop the spam from being sent out.

      I've sent a message to the other mods to see if there is more to do
      proactively instead of retroactively.

      -goat
    • jtomlins@ntlworld.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
        Put new members on the "messages need approval" setting. Also use setting that means all applications to join the group must be approved by a moderator.

        If there aren't enough moderators/admins to acheive this, then appoint some more.

        Jon Tomlins

        > From: "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...>
        > Date: 2008/04/28 Mon AM 08:46:54 BST
        > To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Dear moderators
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cook_mysock"
        > <cook_mysock@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Any chance you could bounce the guys who just sign up here in order to
        > > send spam out to the real members?
        > >

        > Our intentions are to delete, remove, and ban any spammers from the
        > group as soon as they are caught. There may be days that we cannot
        > catch the spammer until one of us are at a machine, though.
        >
        > You can have an impact by flagging spam if its inconvenient enough for
        > your to visit the site and flag it. If not, we will remove it, but
        > that doesn't stop the spam from being sent out.
        >
        > I've sent a message to the other mods to see if there is more to do
        > proactively instead of retroactively.
        >
        > -goat

      • Jim Ronald
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2008
          I'd rather not do that. It's hard on the moderators and the person
          making the initial post. I think that most people find this while
          looking for a solution. To deny them the ability you post their
          question until a moderator can approve them just does not seem like
          the right thing to do to me.

          The various moderators will ban the spammer and delete the spammer
          messages from the yahoo group.

          Anyway, that's enough talks about spam.

          Best regards
          Jim