Dear moderators

  • cook_mysock
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27 9:38 AM
      Any chance you could bounce the guys who just sign up here in order to
      send spam out to the real members?
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 12:46 AM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cook_mysock"
        <cook_mysock@...> wrote:

        > Any chance you could bounce the guys who just sign up here in order to
        > send spam out to the real members?

        Our intentions are to delete, remove, and ban any spammers from the
        group as soon as they are caught. There may be days that we cannot
        catch the spammer until one of us are at a machine, though.

        You can have an impact by flagging spam if its inconvenient enough for
        your to visit the site and flag it. If not, we will remove it, but
        that doesn't stop the spam from being sent out.

        I've sent a message to the other mods to see if there is more to do
        proactively instead of retroactively.

        -goat
      • jtomlins@ntlworld.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28 4:07 AM
          Put new members on the "messages need approval" setting. Also use setting that means all applications to join the group must be approved by a moderator.

          If there aren't enough moderators/admins to acheive this, then appoint some more.

          Jon Tomlins

          > From: "musikgoat" <musikgoat@...>
          > Date: 2008/04/28 Mon AM 08:46:54 BST
          > To: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: [LinkStation_General] Re: Dear moderators
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cook_mysock"
          > <cook_mysock@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Any chance you could bounce the guys who just sign up here in order to
          > > send spam out to the real members?
          > >

          > Our intentions are to delete, remove, and ban any spammers from the
          > group as soon as they are caught. There may be days that we cannot
          > catch the spammer until one of us are at a machine, though.
          >
          > You can have an impact by flagging spam if its inconvenient enough for
          > your to visit the site and flag it. If not, we will remove it, but
          > that doesn't stop the spam from being sent out.
          >
          > I've sent a message to the other mods to see if there is more to do
          > proactively instead of retroactively.
          >
          > -goat

        • Jim Ronald
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28 6:52 PM
            I'd rather not do that. It's hard on the moderators and the person
            making the initial post. I think that most people find this while
            looking for a solution. To deny them the ability you post their
            question until a moderator can approve them just does not seem like
            the right thing to do to me.

            The various moderators will ban the spammer and delete the spammer
            messages from the yahoo group.

            Anyway, that's enough talks about spam.

            Best regards
            Jim