a couple of questions

  • mbizer@mail.utexas.edu
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 18, 2004
      1. I have now had two 250 GB linkstations, both with the 1.44 firmware, yet the clock runs
      fast. Why?

      2. For some reason, today ftp server stopped working reliably. If I set it up for restricted
      access, the ftp server shuts down (I can verify this by telnetting into the Linkstation and
      typing ps -aux). The only way I can get the ftp server to run is through unrestricted
      access, but even then it isn't working correctly (Retrospect times out in access it). I reset
      the device, but this didn't help.

      Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, how do I fix it?

      3. I'm a Mac user, don't have easy access to Windows, and I'm outraged by the fact that the
      firmware update mechanism is platform-specific. This is *insane*. Even Linksys, which is
      extremely Mac-unfriendly, doesn't do this to its customers. Since the unit can be hacked
      so easily, surely there is a way to upload firmware using standard protocols?

      4. As a Mac user, I'm also stymied by the fact that Mac-only folders are limited to files with
      names < 32 characters and sizes < 2 GB. Guess what? The Linkstation uses Netatalk v.
      1.6.4. The current version is 2.0.1 and supports long file names and sizes > 2 GB. Is there
      a way to update just the netatalk in the device? See netatalk.sourceforge.net

      Many thanks,
      Marc
    • mbizer@mail.utexas.edu
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mbizer@m... wrote:
        > 2. For some reason, today ftp server stopped working reliably. If I set it up for restricted
        > access, the ftp server shuts down (I can verify this by telnetting into the Linkstation and
        > typing ps -aux). The only way I can get the ftp server to run is through unrestricted
        > access, but even then it isn't working correctly (Retrospect times out in access it). I reset
        > the device, but this didn't help.

        Well, I've learned a lot in a night of hacking :-( I've been going through the "messages" log
        in /var/log, and there are lines like this:

        Dec 18 21:53:32 TREE250 proftpd[244]: TREE250 (192.168.1.103[192.168.1.103]) - FTP
        session opened.
        Dec 18 21:53:32 TREE250 PAM_unix[244]: (ftp) session opened for user marc by (uid=0)
        Dec 18 21:53:32 TREE250 proftpd[244]: TREE250 (192.168.1.103[192.168.1.103]) - USER
        marc: Login successful.
        Dec 18 21:53:32 TREE250 proftpd[244]: TREE250 (192.168.1.103[192.168.1.103]) - wtmp
        /var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory
        Dec 18 21:53:32 TREE250 proftpd[244]: TREE250 (192.168.1.103[192.168.1.103]) - wtmp
        /var/log/wtmp: No such file or directory
        Dec 18 21:53:32 TREE250 proftpd[244]: TREE250 (192.168.1.103[192.168.1.103]) - FTP
        session closed.
        Dec 18 21:53:33 TREE250 proftpd[245]: TREE250 (192.168.1.103[192.168.1.103]) - FTP
        session opened.

        So is the ftp server launch script failing because there is no /var/log/wtmp file? Why would
        this be?
      • Ingo Fechtel
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
          Marc,

          I am only answering to question 4 here.

          Yes, it is. I got my LinkStation four days ago and finally managed to
          get netatalk 2.0.0 running, together with Rendezvous advertising its
          services, and mt-daapd, an iTunes Music Server.

          I am sitting and writing a complete how-to (which contains information
          of several other excellent how-tos I found) and will post it as soon as
          I am done and sure it works the way it should.

          I.

          On Dec 18, 2004, at 23:16, mbizer@... wrote:

          > 1. I have now had two 250 GB linkstations, both with the 1.44
          > firmware, yet the clock runs
          > fast. Why?
          >
          > 2. For some reason, today ftp server stopped working reliably. If I
          > set it up for restricted
          > access, the ftp server shuts down (I can verify this by telnetting
          > into the Linkstation and
          > typing ps -aux). The only way I can get the ftp server to run is
          > through unrestricted
          > access, but even then it isn't working correctly (Retrospect times
          > out in access it). I reset
          > the device, but this didn't help.
          >
          > Has anyone seen this problem, and if so, how do I fix it?
          >
          > 3. I'm a Mac user, don't have easy access to Windows, and I'm
          > outraged by the fact that the
          > firmware update mechanism is platform-specific. This is *insane*.
          > Even Linksys, which is
          > extremely Mac-unfriendly, doesn't do this to its customers. Since the
          > unit can be hacked
          > so easily, surely there is a way to upload firmware using standard
          > protocols?
          >
          > 4. As a Mac user, I'm also stymied by the fact that Mac-only folders
          > are limited to files with
          > names < 32 characters and sizes < 2 GB. Guess what? The Linkstation
          > uses Netatalk v.
          > 1.6.4. The current version is 2.0.1 and supports long file names and
          > sizes > 2 GB. Is there
          > a way to update just the netatalk in the device? See
          > netatalk.sourceforge.net
          >
          > Many thanks,
          > Marc
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > Service.

        • ianmcc2000
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Fechtel <Ingo@f...> wrote:

            > Yes, it is. I got my LinkStation four days ago and finally managed to
            > get netatalk 2.0.0 running, together with Rendezvous advertising its
            > services, and mt-daapd, an iTunes Music Server.
            >
            > I am sitting and writing a complete how-to (which contains information
            > of several other excellent how-tos I found) and will post it as soon as
            > I am done and sure it works the way it should.

            This would GREAT as I am another Mac User looking to achieve the very same thing! I have
            tried doing netatalk 2.0, but I am a Linux newbie.

            And I'll also voice my disappointment with the platform specific updaters. Not really in
            touch with the spirit of things.
          • Marc Bizer
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
              On 12/19/04 at 8:13 AM -0800, Ingo Fechtel wrote:
              >I am sitting and writing a complete how-to (which contains
              >information of several other excellent how-tos I found) and will
              >post it as soon as I am done and sure it works the way it should.

              Ingo,

              You're doing everyone a terrific service! I look forward to the how-to!

              --Marc
            • Marc Bizer
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                Hi,

                My "messages" log already takes up over 8 megabytes. Are
                there maintenance routines that will eventually compress this? Should
                I worry about this?

                --Marc
              • Marc Bizer
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                  OK,

                  Does the message "EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck
                  is recommended" need to be heeded?

                  I tried to run e2fsck, but had problems:

                  >marc@TREE250:/sbin$ /sbin/e2fsck -v -C f ide0
                  >e2fsck 1.22, 22-Jun-2001 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
                  >/sbin/e2fsck: No such file or directory while trying to open ide0
                  >
                  >The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
                  >filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
                  >filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
                  >is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
                  > e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

                  Did I not specify the right drive?

                  --Marc
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                    --- Marc Bizer <mbizer@...> wrote:

                    > OK,
                    >
                    > Does the message "EXT2-fs warning: checktime
                    > reached, running e2fsck
                    > is recommended" need to be heeded?

                    It's odd, since the LS uses EXT3-fs instead, which has
                    journalling and therefore should never need to run any
                    kind of fsck. Of course there are exceptions to
                    everything.

                    > I tried to run e2fsck, but had problems:
                    >
                    > >marc@TREE250:/sbin$ /sbin/e2fsck -v -C f ide0

                    > Did I not specify the right drive?

                    Nope, did it wrong: instead of ide0, it should be
                    /dev/hda1 (for partition #1) or /dev/hda3 (for
                    partition #3). I think there might be some detail
                    with EXT3 in that you should turn off journalling
                    while you do this and turn it back on when you are
                    done, but I'm not quite sure. EXT3 keeps evolving
                    quickly and it's hard to keep up.

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                      You might look inside of it and see why it is so big.
                      You are probably getting an error conditition repeated
                      thousands of times.

                      Full sized Linux distos have an automatic log rotate
                      and archiving utilility to maintain this for you. I
                      guess you'll have to do it yourself. rename the file,
                      if a new one doesn't autocreate, then do a "touch
                      /var/log/messages" and create an empty one.

                      --- Marc Bizer <mbizer@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > My "messages" log already takes up over 8
                      > megabytes. Are
                      > there maintenance routines that will eventually
                      > compress this? Should
                      > I worry about this?
                      >
                      > --Marc

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • stratmoens
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                        While this question is not specific to your writeup, you just went
                        through this so maybe you could answer a simple question.

                        While the Kurobox binaries are unpacked into /mnt/opt/binary
                        (or /opt after the symbolic link), how do you get gcc running when
                        the everthing is out of place with respect to a normal gcc install?

                        The only way I was able to get the binaries in /opt/binary/... to
                        work is to also copy the default root system into the same /opt
                        structure and chroot into it. Is there a simpler way?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                          On 12/19/04 at 3:23 PM -0800, James Stewart wrote:
                          >It's odd, since the LS uses EXT3-fs instead, which has journalling
                          >and therefore should never need to run any kind of fsck. Of course
                          >there are exceptions to everything.

                          Are you running version 1.44 or 1.45 of the firmware?

                          --Marc
                        • Marc Bizer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 19, 2004
                            On 12/19/04 at 3:28 PM -0800, James Stewart wrote:
                            >You might look inside of it and see why it is so big.
                            >You are probably getting an error conditition repeated
                            >thousands of times.

                            Well, there is stuff like this every time the unit boots:

                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module printer
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[170]: beep is defined as "off"
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[170]: usb device is added
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[170]: vendor:0x0 product:0x0
                            >Dclass:0x9 Dsubclass:0x0 Dprotocol:0x0 Iclass:0x0 Isubclass:0x0
                            >Iprotocol:0x0
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[170]: The device match nothing in mapfile
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[170]: Please change MODULE in
                            >following line to the appropriate module name, add it to
                            >/etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[170]: MODULE 0x0010 0x0 0x0 0 0
                            >0x9 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x00000000
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[171]: beep is defined as "off"
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[171]: usb device is added
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[171]: vendor:0x0 product:0x0
                            >Dclass:0x9 Dsubclass:0x0 Dprotocol:0x0 Iclass:0x0 Isubclass:0x0
                            >Iprotocol:0x0
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[171]: The device match nothing in mapfile
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[171]: Please change MODULE in
                            >following line to the appropriate module name, add it to
                            >/etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[171]: MODULE 0x0010 0x0 0x0 0 0
                            >0x9 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x00000000
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[172]: beep is defined as "off"
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[172]: usb device is added
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[172]: vendor:0x0 product:0x0
                            >Dclass:0x9 Dsubclass:0x0 Dprotocol:0x0 Iclass:0x0 Isubclass:0x0
                            >Iprotocol:0x0
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[172]: The device match nothing in mapfile
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[172]: Please change MODULE in
                            >following line to the appropriate module name, add it to
                            >/etc/murasaki/murasaki.usbmap
                            >Dec 19 13:31:40 TREE250 murasaki.usb[172]: MODULE 0x0010 0x0 0x0 0 0
                            >0x9 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x00000000

                            And then there is a lot of stuff related to connections, particularly
                            ftp connections, which Retrospect makes abundant use of :-(

                            --Marc
                          • Marc Bizer
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 21, 2004
                              On 12/19/04 at 3:28 PM -0800, James Stewart wrote:
                              >Full sized Linux distos have an automatic log rotate and archiving
                              >utilility to maintain this for you. I guess you'll have to do it
                              >yourself.

                              Actually, it turns out that isn't necessary. There appears to be a
                              maintenance script that runs periodically and gzips the logs!

                              --Marc