[ARM] uboot not loading kernel from hd on kurobox-pro

  • Guennadi Liakhovetski
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2008

      haven't found an answer in the wiki nor in the forums. From some wiki
      pages it seems U-Boot on ARM-based systems should be able to load the
      kernel from the SATA disk with the (confusing under these circumstances)
      "ext2load ide" command. However, this doesn't work for me on a kurobox-pro
      with the stock u-boot. Do I need a newer u-boot? Or can I replace the
      kernel in NAND with a self-compiled one?

      Thanks
      Guennadi
      ---
      Guennadi Liakhovetski
    • purdyd_at_wisheights
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2008
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski
        <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > haven't found an answer in the wiki nor in the forums. From some wiki
        > pages it seems U-Boot on ARM-based systems should be able to load the
        > kernel from the SATA disk with the (confusing under these
        circumstances)
        > "ext2load ide" command. However, this doesn't work for me on a
        kurobox-pro
        > with the stock u-boot. Do I need a newer u-boot? Or can I replace the
        > kernel in NAND with a self-compiled one?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Guennadi
        > ---
        > Guennadi Liakhovetski

        hi lyahk,

        what are you env var settings?

        From my experience, I seem to be able to boot about anything bootable
        from the SATA drive using the command sequence:

        ext2load ide 0:1 0x00100000 /boot/uImage
        setenv bootargs console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda1 rw
        bootm 0x00100000

        My kurpro is disassemble now (ready to solder on JTAG headers) so I
        can't check it for sure... I seem to remember something about the
        kuropro needing ext2load ide 0:1 and teh LSpro needing 1:1 instead...
        can't remember for sure...

        HTH

        davygravy
      • purdyd_at_wisheights
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21, 2008
          <g.liakhovetski@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > haven't found an answer in the wiki nor in the forums. From some wiki
          > pages it seems U-Boot on ARM-based systems should be able to load the
          > kernel from the SATA disk with the (confusing under these
          circumstances)
          > "ext2load ide" command. However, this doesn't work for me on a
          kurobox-pro
          > with the stock u-boot. Do I need a newer u-boot? Or can I replace the
          > kernel in NAND with a self-compiled one?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Guennadi
          > ---
          > Guennadi Liakhovetski

          Oh, BTW, the 0:1 and 1:1 are for when I was booting foonas from the
          hdd, not any kind of stockish firmware that used Buffalo's/Revogear's
          partition setup that we are familiar w/ in the LSPro's, for instance.
          ... for foonas I was using sda1 as the root partition, with kernel and
          rootfs all on sda1.