Upgrade to 1.45 problem

  • Phil Reese
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 18, 2004
      With a few days of vacation in front of me I thought I'd take the risk
      and update my LinkStation to the new firmware. I shot myself in the
      foot along the way.

      I was on a windows system and launched the updater from a volume on
      the LinkStation. Things went along swimmingly, till it tried to find
      the new code after it had erased the original code. It appeared that
      the upgrade process interrupted the file share link so the updater
      couldn't find the update .bin file. Had a bad feeling when I saw that
      message.

      I've since gone to a directly connected system with the LinkStation.
      When I run the IP Setup util, it shows the LS at an odd 0.1.0.150 or
      0.1.0.4 address, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255. Clearly it is
      sick. It appears to let me change the IP to my normal 192.168.1.x
      range, including subnet mask. When I then run the updater, it errors
      out with the following message:

      The network address of the computer and the linkstation differ, hence
      and update can not be completed.
      Please change one of the IP addresses so that the Network Addresses
      are the same.

      This is oddly worded. It sort of implies that the linkstation and
      computer should have the same IP, which doesn't seem right. I'm
      assuming that it means that the two devices just need to be in the
      same network segment. Of course they are, both are in the 192.168.1.x
      range with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0.

      Even with them being on the same net it won't go further.

      Any advice?

      Phil Reese
    • Ingo Fechtel
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
        Phil,

        first of all (and this is not to blame you, but keep other people from
        ding the same): Buffalo states in the doc they send together with the
        firmware that you should do the update ONLY with a directly connected
        Linkstation. I fried one by NOT doing that...

        Now: You say you connected it directly now. Does that mean there is
        only the computer and the Linkstation connected, no routers or switches
        or hubs in between? Or do you have the LS connected to the computer
        together with other networked devices?

        I.

        On Dec 18, 2004, at 18:24, Phil Reese wrote:

        > With a few days of vacation in front of me I thought I'd take the risk
        > and update my LinkStation to the new firmware.  I shot myself in the
        > foot along the way.
        >
        > I was on a windows system and launched the updater from a volume on
        > the LinkStation.  Things went along swimmingly, till it tried to find
        > the new code after it had erased the original code.  It appeared that
        > the upgrade process interrupted the file share link so the updater
        > couldn't find the update .bin file.  Had a bad feeling when I saw that
        > message.
        >
        > I've since gone to a directly connected system with the LinkStation.
        > When I run the IP Setup util, it shows the LS at an odd 0.1.0.150 or
        > 0.1.0.4 address, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255.  Clearly it is
        > sick.  It appears to let me change the IP to my normal 192.168.1.x
        > range, including subnet mask.  When I then run the updater, it errors
        > out with the following message:
        >
        > The network address of the computer and the linkstation differ, hence
        > and update can not be completed.
        > Please change one of the IP addresses so that the Network Addresses
        > are the same.
        >
        > This is oddly worded.  It sort of implies that the linkstation and
        > computer should have the same IP, which doesn't seem right.  I'm
        > assuming that it means that the two devices just need to be in the
        > same network segment.  Of course they are, both are in the 192.168.1.x
        > range with subnet masks of 255.255.255.0.
        >
        > Even with them being on the same net it won't go further.
        >
        > Any advice?
        >
        > Phil Reese
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        > Service.

      • Phil Reese
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
          Ingo,

          Yes, I realized after the fact what a bad idea it was.

          The PC and Linkstation are connected together via a seperate 5 port
          switch, just to deal with a crossover cable issue. If a cross over
          cable would work better, I've that available too.

          Any further ideas or is it toast?

          Phil

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Fechtel <Ingo@f...>
          wrote:
          > Phil,
          >
          > first of all (and this is not to blame you, but keep other people from
          > ding the same): Buffalo states in the doc they send together with the
          > firmware that you should do the update ONLY with a directly connected
          > Linkstation. I fried one by NOT doing that...
          >
          > Now: You say you connected it directly now. Does that mean there is
          > only the computer and the Linkstation connected, no routers or switches
          > or hubs in between? Or do you have the LS connected to the computer
          > together with other networked devices?
          >
          > I.

        • Ingo Fechtel
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
            Phil,

            again, just for info: You can unse a crossover cable, just put the
            switch onto crossover (rear of the LS). But just having a single switch
            in between should be fine on the network side.

            Is it toast? I will tell you what mine did (and how stupid I was). I
            put a pretty large zip-file onto one of my shared folders, including
            the /-Directory of a Kuro-box. I unzipped it, hoping to get some of the
            functionality of the Kuro. Well, what happened is that some symbolic
            links did not resolve properly, resulting in the /-partition running
            into a 100% full, that again resulting in the LS not booting anymore.
            What happend was that the power LED kept flashing, and the diag-LED
            flashed 6 times, meaning there is a problem with the disk (you can find
            that information, and some other, at
            http://www.yamasita.jp/linkstation.en/). Support said there is a way to
            reset it by pressing the red INT button for 30 seconds. No chance. The
            IP utility would not see it, no ping, nothing.
            When I restarted it while presing the red INT button it woul go into
            some other mode, but still totally unrecoverable.

            So that was what happened to me. Luckily I had it for just one day, so
            I simply took it back to the store.

            I do not know if yours is fried. I would try the reset, and try to boot
            it whith the button down, see what happens. If that does not work, call
            support, they are usually pretty helpful.

            Good luck, Phil!

            I.

            On Dec 19, 2004, at 9:05, Phil Reese wrote:

            > Ingo,
            >
            > Yes, I realized after the fact what a bad idea it was.
            >
            > The PC and Linkstation are connected together via a seperate 5 port
            > switch, just to deal with a crossover cable issue.  If a cross over
            > cable would work better, I've that available too.
            >
            > Any further ideas or is it toast?
            >
            > Phil
            >

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ingo Fechtel <Ingo@f...>
            > wrote:
            > > Phil,
            > >
            > > first of all (and this is not to blame you, but keep other people
            > from
            > > ding the same): Buffalo states in the doc they send together with
            > the
            > > firmware that you should do the update ONLY with a directly
            > connected
            > > Linkstation. I fried one by NOT doing that...
            > >
            > > Now: You say you connected it directly now. Does that mean there is
            > > only the computer and the Linkstation connected, no routers or
            > switches
            > > or hubs in between? Or do you have the LS connected to the computer
            > > together with other networked devices?
            > >
            > > I.
            > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > Service.

          • Wilson
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 19, 2004
              I had this problem before...the only way for quick fix
              is to open your LS, take out the HD, connect it to the
              desktop computer...boot it up with a bootable linux
              CD, go to rescue mode or whatever you can get a text
              console access with fdisk.. remove all the partition,
              save it and put the HD back to the LS...then when you
              boot it up, it'll be in the EM mode with 192.168
              whatever IP address (can't remember while I'm typing
              the email)...then update the firmware and it'll
              partition and format your HD and your LS will be brand
              new instance again.

              Wilson

              http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com
            • Phil Reese
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 22, 2004
                Ingo and Wilson,

                Well I've opened the LS and taken the drive to a Linux system and
                looked at the drive. As it should, it had two small partitions, a
                swap space and a large file space. I removed all the partitions and
                put it back into the LS. I've run the 1.45 updater, the 1.44 updater
                and a few other varients. In all cases, the process nearly finishes
                but fails. There are two variation on the lights. One time, the red
                disk full light would flash just when the update failed. Other times,
                both of the red lights would flash when upgrade would fail.

                I've looked at the drive after the failed update and sure enough it
                had been repartitioned. Looks close but no cigar.

                I happened to have a second 160gig drive around and removed all the
                partitions and tried it, same failure and symptoms.

                Perhaps its time to get a Kuro box?

                Phil

                PS- Is there anything special about putting it in EM mode? I thought
                that if a blank drive was connected it enters that mode automatically.

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...> wrote:
                > I had this problem before...the only way for quick fix
                > is to open your LS, take out the HD, connect it to the
                > desktop computer...boot it up with a bootable linux
                > CD, go to rescue mode or whatever you can get a text
                > console access with fdisk.. remove all the partition,
                > save it and put the HD back to the LS...then when you
                > boot it up, it'll be in the EM mode with 192.168
                > whatever IP address (can't remember while I'm typing
                > the email)...then update the firmware and it'll
                > partition and format your HD and your LS will be brand
                > new instance again.
                >
                > Wilson
              • Ingo Fechtel
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 22, 2004
                  Phil,

                  just a thought:

                  What happens when you connect the repartitioned drive to a Linux box
                  and put the unzipped image from the Firmware on it....? *speculates*

                  I.

                  On Dec 22, 2004, at 7:39, Phil Reese wrote:

                  > Ingo and Wilson,
                  >
                  > Well I've opened the LS and taken the drive to a Linux system and
                  > looked at the drive.  As it should, it had two small partitions, a
                  > swap space and a large file space.  I removed all the partitions and
                  > put it back into the LS.  I've run the 1.45 updater, the 1.44 updater
                  > and a few other varients.  In all cases, the process nearly finishes
                  > but fails.  There are two variation on the lights.  One time, the red
                  > disk full light would flash just when the update failed.  Other times,
                  > both of the red lights would flash when upgrade would fail.
                  >
                  > I've looked at the drive after the failed update and sure enough it
                  > had been repartitioned.  Looks close but no cigar.
                  >
                  > I happened to have a second 160gig drive around and removed all the
                  > partitions and tried it, same failure and symptoms.
                  >
                  > Perhaps its time to get a Kuro box?
                  >
                  > Phil
                  >
                  > PS- Is there anything special about putting it in EM mode?  I thought
                  > that if a blank drive was connected it enters that mode automatically.
                  >

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I had this problem before...the only way for quick fix
                  > > is to open your LS, take out the HD, connect it to the
                  > > desktop computer...boot it up with a bootable linux
                  > > CD, go to rescue mode or whatever you can get a text
                  > > console access with fdisk..  remove all the partition,
                  > > save it and put the HD back to the LS...then when you
                  > > boot it up, it'll be in the EM mode with 192.168
                  > > whatever IP address (can't remember while I'm typing
                  > > the email)...then update the firmware and it'll
                  > > partition and format your HD and your LS will be brand
                  > > new instance again.
                  > >
                  > > Wilson
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  >

                  > Get unlimited calls to
                  >
                  > U.S./Canada

                  > Service.

                • Wilson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 22, 2004
                    When you clean off the whole partition table and put
                    it into the LS, you should see it's in EM mode when
                    you run the firmware update (-EM suffix to the name of
                    the box)...and have no firmware information..

                    Make sure you have direct connection...if it fails the
                    first time, run the updater and flash it again...(as
                    sometimes it does happen)..if it doesn't work
                    either...you can try this next:

                    Create three parition and make the second one a
                    swap....you can put whatever partition size you want
                    as the firmware will override them anyway...you can
                    make sure it's type 83 for the first and third
                    partition and type 82 for swap.

                    Try and good luck.

                    Wilson

                    http://my.yahoo.com
                  • Phil Reese
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 24, 2004
                      Much to my embarassment but delight, I've gotten my LS back working.
                      How? Simply doing what the updater recommended, disable the Windows
                      XP firewall before doing the update.

                      Lots of hours but lots of learning about the LS. Thanks for all the help!

                      Phil
                    • Ingo Fechtel
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 24, 2004
                        Phil,

                        great to hear that. I don't know why I did not ask it, I remember that
                        in one point of time I wanted to ask you about the firewall... *sigh*
                        anyway, glad to hear you got it resolved :)

                        I.