Retrave data after firmware update

  • djprice1973
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
      I've just re-applied firmware 2.06 to my week old 500GB Linkstation
      HS-DHGL after it stopped working properly and it has removed all my
      old shares and replaced the root directory with an empty 'share'
      directory.

      The Navi program is still showing the drive as 41% full with 195GB of
      data stored on it but I can't see any of it.

      Prior to reapplying the firmware I pressed the reset button on the
      back of the unit to see if this would solve the original problem but
      it didn't.

      Has anyone got any idea how to retrieve the old data? I've bought a
      500GB Drivestation to back the stuff up on but only had half of it
      backed up before the problem happened so will be gutted if I loose the
      other half. Please help!
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "djprice1973" <djp@...> wrote:

        > I've just re-applied firmware 2.06 to my week old 500GB Linkstation
        > HS-DHGL after it stopped working properly and it has removed all my
        > old shares and replaced the root directory with an empty 'share'
        > directory.
        >
        > The Navi program is still showing the drive as 41% full with 195GB of
        > data stored on it but I can't see any of it.
        >
        > Prior to reapplying the firmware I pressed the reset button on the
        > back of the unit to see if this would solve the original problem but
        > it didn't.
        >
        > Has anyone got any idea how to retrieve the old data? I've bought a
        > 500GB Drivestation to back the stuff up on but only had half of it
        > backed up before the problem happened so will be gutted if I loose the
        > other half. Please help!

        Hi, good news!!

        If the drive space is showing as being used, you can likely gain
        access and look at the location of where the shares are actually
        stored and retrieve any data.

        ACP_commander
        http://downloads.nas-central.org/TOOLS/ALL_LS_KB_ARM9/ACP_COMMANDER/
        works as a perfect means to get access.

        ACP Commander needs Java (on your PC) to run. See java.com for the
        latest runtime version for your operating system.
        Once (java) installed, enter the following in a command (cmd) window
        from the same directory that contains your downloaded
        acp_commander.jar file.

        java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <IP ADDRESS> -o

        Replace <IP ADDRESS> with the address of your Linkstation.
        You should see something similar to the following:
        Using random connID VALUE = FB6A7FCF57E6
        Using target: 192.168.1.11/192.168.1.11 (your IP address)
        ** NO message **
        ** NO message **
        Password changed.
        You now have telnet access with a blank (null) password until next reboot.
        If it doesn't work, try again. It could take up 5 times before
        acp_commander works.

        You can now telnet into the IP address as root with no password.

        From the command window enter:
        telnet <ip linkstation>

        you should get to a shell in the linkstation.
        it will start with sh# and likely the hostname. here type:
        ls -a /mnt/disk1/

        likely your directories should show. All of the shared folders that
        you used instead of the default share folder that the device uses.
        You can likely just re connect the Samba share connection that the Web
        interface establishes in Shared Folders settings. Just create a new
        shared folder, and name it the exact same name as the old one. At
        this point your windows computers should be able to access it.

        Remember to reboot your Linkstation after all of this, as the ACP
        commander utilities methods can cause a firmware update to cause
        troublesome errors.

        -goat
      • djprice1973
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
          Many thanks for the help. I did everything you said and in the telnet
          window it showed all my shares from previous as well as the new
          default one "share" created after firmware upgrade.

          I used the web interface to create a new share named the same as one
          of the previous shares.
          The share was visible on the linkstation through windows explorer but
          no files in it. I tried it on another old share and same result.

          I went back to telnet to try and access the folders but even though
          all shares show up when typing "ls -a /mnt/disk1/" when I type "ls -a
          /mnt/disk1/djpls/" (djpls is name of an old share, not recreated in
          web interface) it says 'no such file or directory' I tried same with
          one of the recreated shares and same result.

          If I type 'ls -a /mnt/disk1/share' which is the new share created by
          default, it lists ok.

          Any further suggestions would be much appreciated.

          -DJP

          <musikgoat@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "djprice1973" <djp@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've just re-applied firmware 2.06 to my week old 500GB Linkstation
          > > HS-DHGL after it stopped working properly and it has removed all my
          > > old shares and replaced the root directory with an empty 'share'
          > > directory.
          > >
          > > The Navi program is still showing the drive as 41% full with 195GB of
          > > data stored on it but I can't see any of it.
          > >
          > > Prior to reapplying the firmware I pressed the reset button on the
          > > back of the unit to see if this would solve the original problem but
          > > it didn't.
          > >
          > > Has anyone got any idea how to retrieve the old data? I've bought a
          > > 500GB Drivestation to back the stuff up on but only had half of it
          > > backed up before the problem happened so will be gutted if I loose the
          > > other half. Please help!
          > >

          > Hi, good news!!
          >
          > If the drive space is showing as being used, you can likely gain
          > access and look at the location of where the shares are actually
          > stored and retrieve any data.
          >
          > ACP_commander
          > http://downloads.nas-central.org/TOOLS/ALL_LS_KB_ARM9/ACP_COMMANDER/
          > works as a perfect means to get access.
          >
          > ACP Commander needs Java (on your PC) to run. See java.com for the
          > latest runtime version for your operating system.
          > Once (java) installed, enter the following in a command (cmd) window
          > from the same directory that contains your downloaded
          > acp_commander.jar file.
          >
          > java -jar acp_commander.jar -t <IP ADDRESS> -o
          >
          > Replace <IP ADDRESS> with the address of your Linkstation.
          > You should see something similar to the following:
          > Using random connID VALUE = FB6A7FCF57E6
          > Using target: 192.168.1.11/192.168.1.11 (your IP address)
          > ** NO message **
          > ** NO message **
          > Password changed.
          > You now have telnet access with a blank (null) password until next
          reboot.
          > If it doesn't work, try again. It could take up 5 times before
          > acp_commander works.
          >
          > You can now telnet into the IP address as root with no password.
          >
          > From the command window enter:
          > telnet <ip linkstation>
          >
          > you should get to a shell in the linkstation.
          > it will start with sh# and likely the hostname. here type:
          > ls -a /mnt/disk1/
          >
          > likely your directories should show. All of the shared folders that
          > you used instead of the default share folder that the device uses.
          > You can likely just re connect the Samba share connection that the Web
          > interface establishes in Shared Folders settings. Just create a new
          > shared folder, and name it the exact same name as the old one. At
          > this point your windows computers should be able to access it.
          >
          > Remember to reboot your Linkstation after all of this, as the ACP
          > commander utilities methods can cause a firmware update to cause
          > troublesome errors.
          >
          > -goat

        • djprice1973
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 28, 2008
            SUCCESS! Ignore my last post. Your instructions worked perfectly, I
            just hadn't realised that the CASE of the letters of the shares was
            important, Media didn't work the same as MEDIA. Who'd of thunk it!
            Well probably lots of people but this telnet stuff is slightly out of
            my techie comfort zone!

            Once again, many thanks, I am sooooo relived to have that data back.

            regards,
            DJP