Fan operation & Harddrive spindown on Linkstation Pro .... Help

  • on4cet
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008

      Just bought a linkstation Pro (LS-GL) with a harddrive of 750GB
      (seagate barracuda). I put freelink on it, and i'm having problems to
      let my harddrive spindown after let's say 5 minutes ...

      If i give commands with hdparm, its result is always like this :
      HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setidle1) failed: Invalid argument

      All other commands that I try give just the same output ...

      Is there somebody who can tell me which parameters I have to change to
      which value in order to let the fan spin down when temperature is low
      enough, and when getting hotter, let it start again ?

      All help is appreciated !!!

      Bart
    • on4cet
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
        Nobody on this one ???

        Bart

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "on4cet" <on4cet@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Just bought a linkstation Pro (LS-GL) with a harddrive of 750GB
        > (seagate barracuda). I put freelink on it, and i'm having problems
        > let my harddrive spindown after let's say 5 minutes ...
        >
        > If i give commands with hdparm, its result is always like this :
        > HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setidle1) failed: Invalid argument
        >
        > All other commands that I try give just the same output ...
        >
        > Is there somebody who can tell me which parameters I have to change
        > which value in order to let the fan spin down when temperature is
        low
        > enough, and when getting hotter, let it start again ?
        >
        > All help is appreciated !!!
        >
        > Bart

      • Guennadi Liakhovetski
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2008
          On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, on4cet wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Just bought a linkstation Pro (LS-GL) with a harddrive of 750GB
          > (seagate barracuda). I put freelink on it, and i'm having problems to
          > let my harddrive spindown after let's say 5 minutes ...
          >
          > If i give commands with hdparm, its result is always like this :
          > HDIO_DRIVE_CMD(setidle1) failed: Invalid argument

          I think, it is what you currently get now for most commands to SATA disks
          or even to (P)ATA disks handled by libata. I just don't remember what was
          the solution for this. Perhaps, there is another tool to talk to those.
          Maybe a tool that's used for SCSI discs. Try to google for SATA hdparm or
          similar...

          Regards
          Guennadi
          ---
          Guennadi Liakhovetski
        • on4cet
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2008
            Good information which led me to the sdparm utility which is working

            Thanks again

            Bart

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Guennadi Liakhovetski