Setup New HDD replacing failed drive?

  • kc8ldo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008
      The old 250GB WD drive is failing in my LinkStation, the bearings are
      squealing, so I replaced it with a new drive of the same size and
      manufacture.

      I powered up the box and hit the reset button. I have zero access to
      the box but it does respond to pings. I was hoping the internal
      firmware would format the drive and install the default file system
      from flash rom and I would be all set to go, but no dice.

      How do you setup a new HDD? I have several x86 Linux boxes, Fedora 3-5-
      8 and OpenSuse 10.2 - 10.3, sitting around I could put the drive in if
      necessary. I would like to do the setup with the drive installed and
      working off the internal CPU board if I can.

      Regards;
      Leland C. Scott
      KC8LDO
    • Gary
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008

        You could hook both the old and new drives up to one of your Linux boxes and use dd if=/dev/XXX of=/dev/XXX bs=XXXX ( Replacing XXXs with your specific devices and setting bs=1024) to make a duplicate of the old drive.  I think that might work but others on this group are much more knowledgeable but it might be at least one option and you would keep anything that was on your old drive since it was basically a mechanical problem. If you default the device and it rebuilds I you would also lose any hacks like telnet access and other improvements you might have made.

        Good Luck

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2008

          If you can ping the box you are probably in the recovery mode and need to load the firmware on using the firmware updater.  The system will try using DHCP to get an IP address, if it can’t find a DHCP server it defaults to a 192.168.x.x IP.  You use the default username/password to connect to the box in the firmware upgrade program – HTTP or file access won’t work.

          I did this on an LS1 and it worked fine.

          Andrew.