Re: Link Station (HD-HLAN) and playstation 3

  • davidhomfray
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
      Cheers for the reply

      I am having a wee bit of trouble understanding here? Is the software
      you talking about for the PS3 or linkstation?

      To break it down I have a linkstation HD-HLAN hard wired into a
      router, it plugs directly into the router and requires no PC. I want
      a PS3 which I will hardwire into the router. I thought (at least
      hoped) you could just point the PS3 to the link stations IP address
      and tell it where the media stuff lives and then using the PS3 just
      open up folders and look at pictures, music and movies.

      Is this not the case, does this mean I need to shove linux on the
      PS3, which to be truthful I can't be arsed with. Does anyone else
      find it a bit frustrating that these things don't just work out the
      box and you have to keep frigging around with, loading software, to
      get it to work the way the consumer wants.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daveyip" <daveyip@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have just been through this exercise myself.
      >
      > I have a Kurobox running Gentoo with v2.6 kernel, I am not sure how
      > you would go about doing this without a full OS on it though.
      >
      > I tried ushare but didnt work, but mediatomb does.
      >
      > You need to install mediatomb and build this from scratch, at least
      > for Gentoo, it has quite a few prerequistes that you need to install
      > first. More info can be found from
      >
      > http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation
      >
      > You need to make a couple of changes to the config.xml when you
      > finally get everything installed, which can be found
      >
      > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?
      thread_id=1895315&forum_id=440751

      > Its pretty cool, since mediatomb is open source and runs on Linux,
      > unlike the other solutions that seem to work.
      >
      > I can watch divx films and listen to music. I also have a PSP and
      you
      > can remote play the content from the server via the PS3 to the PSP!!
      >
      > Cheers,
      >
      > David
      >

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "davidhomfray"
      > <homfray@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone
      > >
      > > I have one of the HD-HLAN and I have all my media sitting there.
      > > would like to buy a new Playstation3 and use it to stream my
      media. I
      > > know that SOny are jut about to allow divx just wondered if any
      of you
      > > have any experience with PS3 and the HD-HLAN and could give me
      details
      > > will it work, ill the PS3 see my HD-HLAN
      > >
      > > cheers
      > >
      > > nice

    • Gary
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007

        If the Linkstation is running a media server like twonkyvision or Wizd the PS3 can playback most audio and most video depending on the format. I have a KuroHG and the PS3 sees it and plays back HD videos and MP3 audio. I am using the latest Twonkyvision 4.4.3 version. The PS3 can not on it’s own browse network shares on PC’s or NAS devices unless they are running a UPNP or DNLA server which organizes and presents a standard interface to the PS3.

        Good Luck,

        Gary

        wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I have just been through this exercise myself.
        >
        > I have a Kurobox running Gentoo with v2.6 kernel, I am not sure how
        > you would go about doing this without a full OS on it though.
        >
        > I tried ushare but didnt work, but mediatomb does.
        >
        > You need to install mediatomb and build this from scratch, at least
        > for Gentoo, it has quite a few prerequistes that you need to install
        > first. More info can be found from
        >
        > http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation
        >
        > You need to make a couple of changes to the config.xml when you
        > finally get everything installed, which can be found
        >
        > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?
        thread_id=1895315&forum_id=440751

        > Its pretty cool, since mediatomb is open source and runs on Linux,
        > unlike the other solutions that seem to work.
        >
        > I can watch divx films and listen to music. I also have a PSP and
        you
        > can remote play the content from the server via the PS3 to the PSP!!
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > David

        "davidhomfray"
        > <homfray@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi everyone
        > >
        > > I have one of the HD-HLAN and I have all my media sitting there.
        > > would like to buy a new Playstation3 and use it to stream my
        media. I
        > > know that SOny are jut about to allow divx just wondered if any
        of you
        > > have any experience with PS3 and the HD-HLAN and could give me
        details
        > > will it work, ill the PS3 see my HD-HLAN
        > >
        > > cheers
        > >
        > > nice

      • davidhomfray
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
          Thanks for that, so what is the best recommendation for the server
          and is there a link what to do. Do I load the 'server' software on to
          the linkstation. I suppose any help in what to do would brilliant

          chers

          nice

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <gfesler@...>
          wrote:

          > If the Linkstation is running a media server like twonkyvision or
          Wizd the
          > PS3 can playback most audio and most video depending on the format.
          I have a
          > KuroHG and the PS3 sees it and plays back HD videos and MP3 audio.
          I am
          > using the latest Twonkyvision 4.4.3 version. The PS3 can not on
          it's own
          > browse network shares on PC's or NAS devices unless they are
          running a UPNP
          > or DNLA server which organizes and presents a standard interface to
          the PS3.

          > Good Luck,
          >

          > Gary

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007

            http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/TwonkyMedia/TM4Technicians.html

            The above link goes to the download page for NAS devices including the LinkStation I am not sure which version you need. You need to know which CPU your Linkstation has installed. Perhaps someone else in the group could be more helpful. I can only say that it works fine for me for most videos and all my 8000 MP3s

            wrote:

            > If the Linkstation is running a media server like twonkyvision or
            Wizd the
            > PS3 can playback most audio and most video depending on the format.
            I have a
            > KuroHG and the PS3 sees it and plays back HD videos and MP3 audio.
            I am
            > using the latest Twonkyvision 4.4.3 version. The PS3 can not on
            it's own
            > browse network shares on PC's or NAS devices unless they are
            running a UPNP
            > or DNLA server which organizes and presents a standard interface to
            the PS3.

            > Good Luck,
            >

            > Gary
            >

            > From: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com

          • daveyip
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
              Sorry, for confusing you.

              Yes, as Gary says you should be using a media server to provide media
              to the PS3, it cant connected to a network share from the Linkstation.

              You actually need to buy Twonkyvision (this is why I didnt go down
              this route) check out this really had to find page for NAS devices for
              supported devices,

              http://twonkyvision.de/Download/TwonkyMedia/TM4Technicians.html

              Its not clear that wizd supports the PS3's DLNA, but as Gary says
              Twonkyvision does.

              Ta,