Link Station (HD-HLAN) and playstation 3

  • davidhomfray
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
      Hi everyone

      I have one of the HD-HLAN and I have all my media sitting there. I
      would like to buy a new Playstation3 and use it to stream my media. I
      know that SOny are jut about to allow divx just wondered if any of you
      have any experience with PS3 and the HD-HLAN and could give me details
      will it work, ill the PS3 see my HD-HLAN

      cheers

      nice
    • daveyip
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007

        I have just been through this exercise myself.

        I have a Kurobox running Gentoo with v2.6 kernel, I am not sure how
        you would go about doing this without a full OS on it though.

        I tried ushare but didnt work, but mediatomb does.

        You need to install mediatomb and build this from scratch, at least
        for Gentoo, it has quite a few prerequistes that you need to install
        first. More info can be found from

        http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation

        You need to make a couple of changes to the config.xml when you
        finally get everything installed, which can be found

        http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=1895315&forum_id=440751

        Its pretty cool, since mediatomb is open source and runs on Linux,
        unlike the other solutions that seem to work.

        I can watch divx films and listen to music. I also have a PSP and you
        can remote play the content from the server via the PS3 to the PSP!!

        Cheers,

        David

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "davidhomfray"
        <homfray@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone
        >
        > I have one of the HD-HLAN and I have all my media sitting there. I
        > would like to buy a new Playstation3 and use it to stream my media. I
        > know that SOny are jut about to allow divx just wondered if any of you
        > have any experience with PS3 and the HD-HLAN and could give me details
        > will it work, ill the PS3 see my HD-HLAN
        >
        > cheers
        >
        > nice

      • davidhomfray
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
          Cheers for the reply

          I am having a wee bit of trouble understanding here? Is the software
          you talking about for the PS3 or linkstation?

          To break it down I have a linkstation HD-HLAN hard wired into a
          router, it plugs directly into the router and requires no PC. I want
          a PS3 which I will hardwire into the router. I thought (at least
          hoped) you could just point the PS3 to the link stations IP address
          and tell it where the media stuff lives and then using the PS3 just
          open up folders and look at pictures, music and movies.

          Is this not the case, does this mean I need to shove linux on the
          PS3, which to be truthful I can't be arsed with. Does anyone else
          find it a bit frustrating that these things don't just work out the
          box and you have to keep frigging around with, loading software, to
          get it to work the way the consumer wants.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "daveyip" <daveyip@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have just been through this exercise myself.
          >
          > I have a Kurobox running Gentoo with v2.6 kernel, I am not sure how
          > you would go about doing this without a full OS on it though.
          >
          > I tried ushare but didnt work, but mediatomb does.
          >
          > You need to install mediatomb and build this from scratch, at least
          > for Gentoo, it has quite a few prerequistes that you need to install
          > first. More info can be found from
          >
          > http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation
          >
          > You need to make a couple of changes to the config.xml when you
          > finally get everything installed, which can be found
          >
          > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?
          thread_id=1895315&forum_id=440751

          > Its pretty cool, since mediatomb is open source and runs on Linux,
          > unlike the other solutions that seem to work.
          >
          > I can watch divx films and listen to music. I also have a PSP and
          you
          > can remote play the content from the server via the PS3 to the PSP!!
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > David
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "davidhomfray"
          > <homfray@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everyone
          > >
          > > I have one of the HD-HLAN and I have all my media sitting there.
          > > would like to buy a new Playstation3 and use it to stream my
          media. I
          > > know that SOny are jut about to allow divx just wondered if any
          of you
          > > have any experience with PS3 and the HD-HLAN and could give me
          details
          > > will it work, ill the PS3 see my HD-HLAN
          > >
          > > cheers
          > >
          > > nice

        • Gary
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007

            If the Linkstation is running a media server like twonkyvision or Wizd the PS3 can playback most audio and most video depending on the format. I have a KuroHG and the PS3 sees it and plays back HD videos and MP3 audio. I am using the latest Twonkyvision 4.4.3 version. The PS3 can not on it’s own browse network shares on PC’s or NAS devices unless they are running a UPNP or DNLA server which organizes and presents a standard interface to the PS3.

            Good Luck,

            Gary

            wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > I have just been through this exercise myself.
            >
            > I have a Kurobox running Gentoo with v2.6 kernel, I am not sure how
            > you would go about doing this without a full OS on it though.
            >
            > I tried ushare but didnt work, but mediatomb does.
            >
            > You need to install mediatomb and build this from scratch, at least
            > for Gentoo, it has quite a few prerequistes that you need to install
            > first. More info can be found from
            >
            > http://mediatomb.cc/pages/documentation
            >
            > You need to make a couple of changes to the config.xml when you
            > finally get everything installed, which can be found
            >
            > http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?
            thread_id=1895315&forum_id=440751

            > Its pretty cool, since mediatomb is open source and runs on Linux,
            > unlike the other solutions that seem to work.
            >
            > I can watch divx films and listen to music. I also have a PSP and
            you
            > can remote play the content from the server via the PS3 to the PSP!!
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > David

            "davidhomfray"
            > <homfray@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi everyone
            > >
            > > I have one of the HD-HLAN and I have all my media sitting there.
            > > would like to buy a new Playstation3 and use it to stream my
            media. I
            > > know that SOny are jut about to allow divx just wondered if any
            of you
            > > have any experience with PS3 and the HD-HLAN and could give me
            details
            > > will it work, ill the PS3 see my HD-HLAN
            > >
            > > cheers
            > >
            > > nice

          • davidhomfray
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
              Thanks for that, so what is the best recommendation for the server
              and is there a link what to do. Do I load the 'server' software on to
              the linkstation. I suppose any help in what to do would brilliant

              chers

              nice

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gary" <gfesler@...>
              wrote:

              > If the Linkstation is running a media server like twonkyvision or
              Wizd the
              > PS3 can playback most audio and most video depending on the format.
              I have a
              > KuroHG and the PS3 sees it and plays back HD videos and MP3 audio.
              I am
              > using the latest Twonkyvision 4.4.3 version. The PS3 can not on
              it's own
              > browse network shares on PC's or NAS devices unless they are
              running a UPNP
              > or DNLA server which organizes and presents a standard interface to
              the PS3.

              > Good Luck,
              >

              > Gary

            • Gary
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007

                http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/TwonkyMedia/TM4Technicians.html

                The above link goes to the download page for NAS devices including the LinkStation I am not sure which version you need. You need to know which CPU your Linkstation has installed. Perhaps someone else in the group could be more helpful. I can only say that it works fine for me for most videos and all my 8000 MP3s

                wrote:

                > If the Linkstation is running a media server like twonkyvision or
                Wizd the
                > PS3 can playback most audio and most video depending on the format.
                I have a
                > KuroHG and the PS3 sees it and plays back HD videos and MP3 audio.
                I am
                > using the latest Twonkyvision 4.4.3 version. The PS3 can not on
                it's own
                > browse network shares on PC's or NAS devices unless they are
                running a UPNP
                > or DNLA server which organizes and presents a standard interface to
                the PS3.

                > Good Luck,
                >

                > Gary
                >

                > From: LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com

              • daveyip
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 29, 2007
                  Sorry, for confusing you.

                  Yes, as Gary says you should be using a media server to provide media
                  to the PS3, it cant connected to a network share from the Linkstation.

                  You actually need to buy Twonkyvision (this is why I didnt go down
                  this route) check out this really had to find page for NAS devices for
                  supported devices,

                  http://twonkyvision.de/Download/TwonkyMedia/TM4Technicians.html

                  Its not clear that wizd supports the PS3's DLNA, but as Gary says
                  Twonkyvision does.

                  Ta,