Re: Adding HD to USB port

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
      Tried this utility a few times now. First thing that happens is that
      the mouse stop working. I proceed by using the mousepad on the
      notebook. Then this message come up, "Since there is not any
      partition of another type than Windows or DOS (FAT or NTFS), nothing
      can be configured here".

      When plugging in the external HD in to the USB port, I get
      "USB PORT NOT RECOGNISED' message

      I also noticed that this utility is called "Ext2 Installable File
      System 1.10c".
      During installation it refers to ext.2 file system and
      not ext3.

      Am I using the wrong program? Any ideas on what to do?

      Thanks

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Paul Henderson
      <phenders21@...> wrote:

      > You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this
      first and install it. Then plug in the USB drive
      > http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
      >
      > As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works. I would
      recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled
      packages for the PPC architecture is large. You can do a lot more
      with Debian on it. You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

      Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it up
      to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the ext.3

      > file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice if
      this file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

      > Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
      program anything! Any limit on the size of the HD ?

      > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and
      lubricating the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

      > Didn't know about Debian; will check that out.

      > Thanks again :-)

      > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, Paul Henderson
      >
      > <phenders21@ ...> wrote:
      >
      > > You can plug in an external hdd and have read and read
      capabilities if it's formatted in the ext3 file system.

      > > You can also install a new internal hdd as well. The LS2 only
      supports 3.5" IDE drives and not SATA drive. If you want Debian on
      your LS2, then do it when you buy the new drive (you can do it on

      > your existing drive as well). http://nas-central.org/ index.php/
      Convert_your_ MIPSel_LinkStati on_into_a_full-blown_Debian_ system

      and plug in another external USB drive at the back or it is only
      for backing up?

      > Also, is it possible to replace the HD inside for a bigger one? If
      so, where can I get more info on suitable drives and what needs to be
      done?