Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Errors & Problems
- musikgoat wrote:
> --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...>Thank you for you're advice. I have decided for now to stick to the
>> I've just had the device back from a friend who likes to tinker but
>> had already been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
>> the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
>> So I've plugged it in, and although it started I couldn't connect.
>> Today I've had some time so have dug deeper into it. I made sure the
>> crossover switch on the back was set right and it was plugged into the
>> switch OK. The router (192.168.0.1) detected the IP was in used but
>> couldn't find the name. It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be
>> a good thing as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
>> as the same as well.
>> I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that. Initially it
>> didn't connect but after holding in the INIT (red button) on the back
>> for 20s it found it.
>> Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
>> so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
>> None of these times have I managed to either use Web or fileshare
>> browsers to access the device. With a web browser I get "Problem
>> loading page" and Windows reckons there isn't anything there. I've
>> done a port scan and nothing is 'open'.
>> I've tried a few restarts and I'm not getting anywhere. I can't
>> connect to the device through its web browser, so I don't see how I
>> can change anything else?
>> What's left?!
>> Help? Someone? Please ;)
> Have you tried flashing the firmware on your linkstation? Since you
> have a crossover/patch switch, that means you need the first series
> firmware designated 1.xx at buffalotech.com. or you can use the
> alternate openlink or freelink firmwares at nas-central.org. these
> give more functionality to the device which alot of times are needed.
> read through there, and look at the openlink firmware, if your
> interested in a web gui to control the device.
original version simply because it is going out to another friend and I
would like to keep it as 'stock' as possible.
TBH when I first moved into the area of having a "Network Storage
Device" it was great, and 160gb was loads!
Now I've got a mini-itx debian system running web and file server with
current capacity of 1.2tb. Addictive isn't it :)
The device has been reflashed with the original but up to date firmware
(1.47) and it is behaving itself. I even let it run through with a
thorough check disk check to make sure was OK, but it didn't tell me if
anything was wrong so I'll fire it up again in a few days and check for
any logs or anything.
Cheers, Elwyn ;)