Ever heard of PCast Media Server?

  • born_daniel
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 17, 2004
      Well, there is one sleeping in my LS...

      If found this by accident while snooping around the cgi-bin
      directory... (I'm trying to set up a nice clean interface to the
      startup, shutdown, startup on reboot, and reading the status of the
      slimserver from the LinkStation's web interface. I got all the linux
      stuff set up, now I'm trying to integrate this in the perl web
      interface code).

      I looked in /www/cgi-bin/mellib.pl and found a section where
      different options can be turned on or off and for all different
      models (HD-LAN, HD-HLAN, HD-HGLAN, KURO-BOX, etc...) such as fan
      control, MTU settings, backup to LinkStation, and one called PCast
      Server... It's very easy to switch it on by changing $defOFF to
      $defON. :-)

      Enabling the PCast server option added a whole new top-level option
      (right under Maintenance) with a snazzy looking logo and all. I
      selected it but didn't go any further as it wanted to configure the
      server for me and since I don't know what it is or what it does or
      if it'll affect anything on my box...

      I did find a Japanese website that talks about it
      (http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/multi/mediaserver.html
      ) but since I don't read Japanese and all the translation sites I
      found (systran, babelfish, etc.) had problems reading it... It
      appears to be some streaming server (ala SlimServer) but it connects
      to a network DVD player of some sort...

      Any thoughts? could we use it for anything useful in North America?

      Enjoy,
      Daniel

      P.S. And be careful changing stuff around in the perl files web
      interface, I wouldn't want anybody to break their LS on my
      account! ;-)
    • -/\-
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 18, 2004
        That's what I'm looking for ! :)
        I like to be able to emulate the server function of this NAS Drive:
        http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&ts=2&tsc=&sc=HDL
        on the Linkstation
        Is this possible ?

        Thanks

        "born_daniel" <born_daniel@...> wrote in
        message news:cq02rk+kn62@......

        > Well, there is one sleeping in my LS...
        >
        > If found this by accident while snooping around the cgi-bin
        > directory... (I'm trying to set up a nice clean interface to the
        > startup, shutdown, startup on reboot, and reading the status of the
        > slimserver from the LinkStation's web interface. I got all the linux
        > stuff set up, now I'm trying to integrate this in the perl web
        > interface code).
        >
        > I looked in /www/cgi-bin/mellib.pl and found a section where
        > different options can be turned on or off and for all different
        > models (HD-LAN, HD-HLAN, HD-HGLAN, KURO-BOX, etc...) such as fan
        > control, MTU settings, backup to LinkStation, and one called PCast
        > Server... It's very easy to switch it on by changing $defOFF to
        > $defON. :-)
        >
        > Enabling the PCast server option added a whole new top-level option
        > (right under Maintenance) with a snazzy looking logo and all. I
        > selected it but didn't go any further as it wanted to configure the
        > server for me and since I don't know what it is or what it does or
        > if it'll affect anything on my box...
        >
        > I did find a Japanese website that talks about it
        > (http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/multi/mediaserver.html
        > ) but since I don't read Japanese and all the translation sites I
        > found (systran, babelfish, etc.) had problems reading it... It
        > appears to be some streaming server (ala SlimServer) but it connects
        > to a network DVD player of some sort...
        >
        > Any thoughts? could we use it for anything useful in North America?
        >
        > Enjoy,
        > Daniel
        >
        > P.S. And be careful changing stuff around in the perl files web
        > interface, I wouldn't want anybody to break their LS on my
        > account! ;-)

        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM
      • lifeisfuneh
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 18, 2004
          All the other functions look virtually identical....

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-/\\-"

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 25, 2004
            Found some more info but I'm worried if I upgrade that
            I won't be able to get it in english :(
            Any one speaking Japanese here ? :)

            http://translate.google.com/translate?
            hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/multi/med
            iaserver.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3DPCast%2BMediaServer%26hl%3Den%26lr%
            3D%26c2coff%3D1%26sa%3DG