Re: Errors & Problems

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...>
      wrote:

      > Hiya
      >
      > I've just had the device back from a friend who likes to tinker but
      > had already been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
      > the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
      >
      > So I've plugged it in, and although it started I couldn't connect.
      >
      > Today I've had some time so have dug deeper into it. I made sure the
      > crossover switch on the back was set right and it was plugged into the
      > switch OK. The router (192.168.0.1) detected the IP was in used but
      > couldn't find the name. It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be
      > a good thing as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
      > as the same as well.
      >
      > I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that. Initially it
      > didn't connect but after holding in the INIT (red button) on the back
      > for 20s it found it.
      >
      > Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
      > so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
      >
      > None of these times have I managed to either use Web or fileshare
      > browsers to access the device. With a web browser I get "Problem
      > done a port scan and nothing is 'open'.
      >
      > I've tried a few restarts and I'm not getting anywhere. I can't
      > connect to the device through its web browser, so I don't see how I
      > can change anything else?
      >
      > What's left?!
      >
      > Help? Someone? Please ;)

      Have you tried flashing the firmware on your linkstation? Since you
      have a crossover/patch switch, that means you need the first series
      firmware designated 1.xx at buffalotech.com. or you can use the
      alternate openlink or freelink firmwares at nas-central.org. these
      give more functionality to the device which alot of times are needed.

      http://nas-central.org/index.php?title=Category:LS1

      read through there, and look at the openlink firmware, if your
      interested in a web gui to control the device.
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...
        > ...been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
        > the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.

        Those that have put 500 Gig drives in theirs may differ.

        > It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be a good thing
        > as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
        > as the same as well.

        Yea, if a device doesn't respond to a DNS name request your AP will do
        this. No big deal as long as you just use IP addresses instead.

        > I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that.

        What is "Navi"? I'm certainly not current on anything coming from the
        Buffalotech, but what the kind of thing you really need is their
        Firmware installer/upgrader. At this point we recommend you instead
        install at least "Openlink" from the Linkstation Wiki, now known as
        http://www.nas-central.org, so that you will be able to tinker with
        this product as well. It appears you have what we call a
        Linkstation-1, so make sure you use the right "Openlink".

        > Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
        > so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.

        In summary, Most of the Linkstation's OS lives on a partition on the
        hard drive. It looks like that partition is not on this hard drive
        for some reason. Did your friend already put a new/different hard
        drive in this unit? Therefore a very limited OS is all it has that
        lives in some Flash memory. About all this mini "EM mode" OS knows
        how to do is to install a new OS from a "firmware installer". So this
        is what you should do.
      • Elwyn
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
          James Stewart wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...
          >> ...been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
          >> the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
          >
          > Those that have put 500 Gig drives in theirs may differ.

          Yes, thanks, while sifting through the info to recover the disk from the
          Wiki I found out how...

          >> It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be a good thing
          >> as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
          >> as the same as well.
          >
          > Yea, if a device doesn't respond to a DNS name request your AP will do
          > this. No big deal as long as you just use IP addresses instead.

          Yep, once I'd grasped that little annoying thing... :!

          >> I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that.
          >
          > What is "Navi"?

          Sorry, it's the "interface" software, "Buffalo NAS Navigator v1.2"

          > I'm certainly not current on anything coming from the Buffalotech

          It was what was on their website.

          > but what the kind of thing you really need is their
          > Firmware installer/upgrader. At this point we recommend you instead
          > install at least "Openlink" from the Linkstation Wiki, now known as
          > http://www.nas-central.org, so that you will be able to tinker with
          > this product as well. It appears you have what we call a
          > Linkstation-1, so make sure you use the right "Openlink".

          Yes, I eventually found it, 30-40mb file, got that and ran it locally.
          There were decidedly odd things happing on my network last weekend. The
          wifi connection could see the buffalo, but the wired one couldn't. They
          were all on the same subnet too... Odd.

          But I had 100 percent on the wifi AP when 'flashing'. I would have
          prefrered to have used a wired connection but it just wouldn't see the
          device at all :(

          >> Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
          >> so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
          >
          > In summary, Most of the Linkstation's OS lives on a partition on the
          > hard drive. It looks like that partition is not on this hard drive
          > for some reason. Did your friend already put a new/different hard
          > drive in this unit? Therefore a very limited OS is all it has that
          > lives in some Flash memory. About all this mini "EM mode" OS knows
          > how to do is to install a new OS from a "firmware installer". So this
          > is what you should do.

          I don't know what went wrong. When I 'resurected' the drive it still had
          some of his data on it, 14gb worth. All Macintosh stuff so I've put it
          'safe' for him here until he visits again with his usb bits... The HDD
          is the original one, but if necessary that is updatable now. Which is a
          good thing. Assuming I can find large PATA HDDs later down the line when
          I can afford to upgrade it!

          The firmware upgrade went well and it's running 1.47. No issues since
          getting it going. TBH towards the end I was practically screaming abuse
          at it, but now things have calmed down a bit more and stuff ;)

          Thanks for you're advice

          Cheers

          Elwyn
        • Elwyn
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
            musikgoat wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...>
            > wrote:
            >> Hiya
            >>
            >> I've just had the device back from a friend who likes to tinker but
            >> had already been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
            >> the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
            >>
            >> So I've plugged it in, and although it started I couldn't connect.
            >>
            >> Today I've had some time so have dug deeper into it. I made sure the
            >> crossover switch on the back was set right and it was plugged into the
            >> switch OK. The router (192.168.0.1) detected the IP was in used but
            >> couldn't find the name. It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be
            >> a good thing as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
            >> as the same as well.
            >>
            >> I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that. Initially it
            >> didn't connect but after holding in the INIT (red button) on the back
            >> for 20s it found it.
            >>
            >> Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
            >> so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
            >>
            >> None of these times have I managed to either use Web or fileshare
            >> browsers to access the device. With a web browser I get "Problem
            >> done a port scan and nothing is 'open'.
            >>
            >> I've tried a few restarts and I'm not getting anywhere. I can't
            >> connect to the device through its web browser, so I don't see how I
            >> can change anything else?
            >>
            >> What's left?!
            >>
            >> Help? Someone? Please ;)
            >>

            > Have you tried flashing the firmware on your linkstation? Since you
            > have a crossover/patch switch, that means you need the first series
            > firmware designated 1.xx at buffalotech.com. or you can use the
            > alternate openlink or freelink firmwares at nas-central.org. these
            > give more functionality to the device which alot of times are needed.
            >
            > http://nas-central.org/index.php?title=Category:LS1
            >
            > read through there, and look at the openlink firmware, if your
            > interested in a web gui to control the device.

            Thank you for you're advice. I have decided for now to stick to the
            original version simply because it is going out to another friend and I
            would like to keep it as 'stock' as possible.

            TBH when I first moved into the area of having a "Network Storage
            Device" it was great, and 160gb was loads!

            Now I've got a mini-itx debian system running web and file server with
            current capacity of 1.2tb. Addictive isn't it :)

            The device has been reflashed with the original but up to date firmware
            (1.47) and it is behaving itself. I even let it run through with a
            thorough check disk check to make sure was OK, but it didn't tell me if
            anything was wrong so I'll fire it up again in a few days and check for
            any logs or anything.

            Thanks again

            Cheers, Elwyn ;)