Errors & Problems

  • Elwyn York
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2007
      Hiya

      I've just had the device back from a friend who likes to tinker but
      had already been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
      the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.

      So I've plugged it in, and although it started I couldn't connect.

      Today I've had some time so have dug deeper into it. I made sure the
      crossover switch on the back was set right and it was plugged into the
      switch OK. The router (192.168.0.1) detected the IP was in used but
      couldn't find the name. It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be
      a good thing as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
      as the same as well.

      I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that. Initially it
      didn't connect but after holding in the INIT (red button) on the back
      for 20s it found it.

      Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
      so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.

      None of these times have I managed to either use Web or fileshare
      browsers to access the device. With a web browser I get "Problem
      done a port scan and nothing is 'open'.

      I've tried a few restarts and I'm not getting anywhere. I can't
      connect to the device through its web browser, so I don't see how I
      can change anything else?

      What's left?!

      Help? Someone? Please ;)
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...>
        wrote:

        > Hiya
        >
        > I've just had the device back from a friend who likes to tinker but
        > had already been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
        > the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
        >
        > So I've plugged it in, and although it started I couldn't connect.
        >
        > Today I've had some time so have dug deeper into it. I made sure the
        > crossover switch on the back was set right and it was plugged into the
        > switch OK. The router (192.168.0.1) detected the IP was in used but
        > couldn't find the name. It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be
        > a good thing as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
        > as the same as well.
        >
        > I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that. Initially it
        > didn't connect but after holding in the INIT (red button) on the back
        > for 20s it found it.
        >
        > Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
        > so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
        >
        > None of these times have I managed to either use Web or fileshare
        > browsers to access the device. With a web browser I get "Problem
        > done a port scan and nothing is 'open'.
        >
        > I've tried a few restarts and I'm not getting anywhere. I can't
        > connect to the device through its web browser, so I don't see how I
        > can change anything else?
        >
        > What's left?!
        >
        > Help? Someone? Please ;)

        Have you tried flashing the firmware on your linkstation? Since you
        have a crossover/patch switch, that means you need the first series
        firmware designated 1.xx at buffalotech.com. or you can use the
        alternate openlink or freelink firmwares at nas-central.org. these
        give more functionality to the device which alot of times are needed.

        http://nas-central.org/index.php?title=Category:LS1

        read through there, and look at the openlink firmware, if your
        interested in a web gui to control the device.
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 18, 2007
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...
          > ...been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
          > the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.

          Those that have put 500 Gig drives in theirs may differ.

          > It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be a good thing
          > as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
          > as the same as well.

          Yea, if a device doesn't respond to a DNS name request your AP will do
          this. No big deal as long as you just use IP addresses instead.

          > I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that.

          What is "Navi"? I'm certainly not current on anything coming from the
          Buffalotech, but what the kind of thing you really need is their
          Firmware installer/upgrader. At this point we recommend you instead
          install at least "Openlink" from the Linkstation Wiki, now known as
          http://www.nas-central.org, so that you will be able to tinker with
          this product as well. It appears you have what we call a
          Linkstation-1, so make sure you use the right "Openlink".

          > Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
          > so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.

          In summary, Most of the Linkstation's OS lives on a partition on the
          hard drive. It looks like that partition is not on this hard drive
          for some reason. Did your friend already put a new/different hard
          drive in this unit? Therefore a very limited OS is all it has that
          lives in some Flash memory. About all this mini "EM mode" OS knows
          how to do is to install a new OS from a "firmware installer". So this
          is what you should do.
        • Elwyn
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
            James Stewart wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...
            >> ...been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
            >> the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
            >
            > Those that have put 500 Gig drives in theirs may differ.

            Yes, thanks, while sifting through the info to recover the disk from the
            Wiki I found out how...

            >> It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be a good thing
            >> as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
            >> as the same as well.
            >
            > Yea, if a device doesn't respond to a DNS name request your AP will do
            > this. No big deal as long as you just use IP addresses instead.

            Yep, once I'd grasped that little annoying thing... :!

            >> I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that.
            >
            > What is "Navi"?

            Sorry, it's the "interface" software, "Buffalo NAS Navigator v1.2"

            > I'm certainly not current on anything coming from the Buffalotech

            It was what was on their website.

            > but what the kind of thing you really need is their
            > Firmware installer/upgrader. At this point we recommend you instead
            > install at least "Openlink" from the Linkstation Wiki, now known as
            > http://www.nas-central.org, so that you will be able to tinker with
            > this product as well. It appears you have what we call a
            > Linkstation-1, so make sure you use the right "Openlink".

            Yes, I eventually found it, 30-40mb file, got that and ran it locally.
            There were decidedly odd things happing on my network last weekend. The
            wifi connection could see the buffalo, but the wired one couldn't. They
            were all on the same subnet too... Odd.

            But I had 100 percent on the wifi AP when 'flashing'. I would have
            prefrered to have used a wired connection but it just wouldn't see the
            device at all :(

            >> Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
            >> so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
            >
            > In summary, Most of the Linkstation's OS lives on a partition on the
            > hard drive. It looks like that partition is not on this hard drive
            > for some reason. Did your friend already put a new/different hard
            > drive in this unit? Therefore a very limited OS is all it has that
            > lives in some Flash memory. About all this mini "EM mode" OS knows
            > how to do is to install a new OS from a "firmware installer". So this
            > is what you should do.

            I don't know what went wrong. When I 'resurected' the drive it still had
            some of his data on it, 14gb worth. All Macintosh stuff so I've put it
            'safe' for him here until he visits again with his usb bits... The HDD
            is the original one, but if necessary that is updatable now. Which is a
            good thing. Assuming I can find large PATA HDDs later down the line when
            I can afford to upgrade it!

            The firmware upgrade went well and it's running 1.47. No issues since
            getting it going. TBH towards the end I was practically screaming abuse
            at it, but now things have calmed down a bit more and stuff ;)

            Thanks for you're advice

            Cheers

            Elwyn
          • Elwyn
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 19, 2007
              musikgoat wrote:
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Elwyn York" <elwyn@...>
              > wrote:
              >> Hiya
              >>
              >> I've just had the device back from a friend who likes to tinker but
              >> had already been told by Buffalo (by email) that we couldn't upgrade
              >> the 160gb Hdd to anything larger.
              >>
              >> So I've plugged it in, and although it started I couldn't connect.
              >>
              >> Today I've had some time so have dug deeper into it. I made sure the
              >> crossover switch on the back was set right and it was plugged into the
              >> switch OK. The router (192.168.0.1) detected the IP was in used but
              >> couldn't find the name. It's listed as UNKNOWN. This may or may not be
              >> a good thing as my wifi ap and mobile phone both appear when connected
              >> as the same as well.
              >>
              >> I downloaded the Navi program from Buffalo and ran that. Initially it
              >> didn't connect but after holding in the INIT (red button) on the back
              >> for 20s it found it.
              >>
              >> Initally when it found it it was telling me the HDD was unformatted,
              >> so I did another reset and now it's gone into EM mode.
              >>
              >> None of these times have I managed to either use Web or fileshare
              >> browsers to access the device. With a web browser I get "Problem
              >> done a port scan and nothing is 'open'.
              >>
              >> I've tried a few restarts and I'm not getting anywhere. I can't
              >> connect to the device through its web browser, so I don't see how I
              >> can change anything else?
              >>
              >> What's left?!
              >>
              >> Help? Someone? Please ;)
              >>

              > Have you tried flashing the firmware on your linkstation? Since you
              > have a crossover/patch switch, that means you need the first series
              > firmware designated 1.xx at buffalotech.com. or you can use the
              > alternate openlink or freelink firmwares at nas-central.org. these
              > give more functionality to the device which alot of times are needed.
              >
              > http://nas-central.org/index.php?title=Category:LS1
              >
              > read through there, and look at the openlink firmware, if your
              > interested in a web gui to control the device.

              Thank you for you're advice. I have decided for now to stick to the
              original version simply because it is going out to another friend and I
              would like to keep it as 'stock' as possible.

              TBH when I first moved into the area of having a "Network Storage
              Device" it was great, and 160gb was loads!

              Now I've got a mini-itx debian system running web and file server with
              current capacity of 1.2tb. Addictive isn't it :)

              The device has been reflashed with the original but up to date firmware
              (1.47) and it is behaving itself. I even let it run through with a
              thorough check disk check to make sure was OK, but it didn't tell me if
              anything was wrong so I'll fire it up again in a few days and check for
              any logs or anything.

              Thanks again

              Cheers, Elwyn ;)