USB Drive on LinkStation Live

  • jfm2830
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 4, 2007
      I'm new to this grop and just recently bought and installed a
      LinkStation Live NAS for use as a network file server.

      I have the LinkStation on my network and attached a USB drive to it to
      use for backing up the share directory. When I look at the LinkStation
      directory structure from my PC is see multiple mounts of the USB drive.
      I see one mount in the root directory, I see another mount as a
      subdirectory under the share directory (share/usbdrive1) and I see a
      third mount under a subdirectory of the share directory
      (share/pictures/usbdrive1). Any one know why this is happening?

      When I try to back up my share directory to the USB drive I end up with
      errors when the backup runs into the mounts of the USB drive in the
      share directory. How do I fix this?

      Thanks, John Moonan
    • weekendsailor
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3 4:08 PM
        Saturday Afternoon

        John;

        If it isn't too late ....

        DO NOT DELETE the 'Pictures' directory on the 'Share' drive of
        your Linkstation.

        I speak from experience ....

        I deleted that directory last weekend and I've just spent about
        an hour following the directions from Buffalo's Tech Support to
        get my Linkstation back to where it's again accessable.

        When I deleted the 'Pictures' directory it made my
        Linkstation unaccessable and I had to reload the firmware
        following the instructions from the lady at Buffalo's
        Tech Support.

        Try this experiment ...... don't have anything else on the
        'Shares' except what the Linkstation puts there and then go
        look at your disk utilization numbers using the Web Browser
        interface.

        I think that you'll find that the Web Browser will show that
        there isn't anything on the Shares folder.

        My guess is that the 'Pictures' folder is some sort of artifact
        of the operating system ..... it looks to be 'echoing' the
        directory of whatever USB drive you first connect.

        I have two USB drives hooked to my Linkstation and I've just
        tried looking first at USB1 and then USB2 ...... each time
        looking inside the 'Pictures' directory on the 'Shares' folder
        to see if the 'image' changed ..... but it did not.

        At first I thought that perhaps the 'Pictures' folder was being
        used by the LINUX OS to temporarily store what it was being
        asked to show when the two different USB drives have their
        directories accessed but that idea doesn't seem to stand the
        experiment that I ran.

        So I don't know why that 'Pictures' directory is visible on
        the 'Share' drive of the Linkstation Server but don't mess
        with it.

        Regards;

        Paul Nix
        Garland, Texas