Re: OpenLink power saving mode

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
      <lalunas10@...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cheungderekca"
      > <derek.cheung@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a Linkstation HD 250 and I am going to upgrade it to
      > > OpenLink for Internet access. Since it is only for my overseas
      > > relatives to occasionally access the photo or video on the
      > > Linkstation, I am wondering how I could have the Linkstation
      > > running OpenLink to be in power saving mode until it received
      > > HTTP, SSH or FTP request?
      >
      > The hardware is not WOL compatible.
      >
      > -A

      The LS only draws about 15 watts anyway. That said, you can do a few
      things to make the hard drive shut down, but I would have to do
      research how to do it with OpenLink. Another cool thing to try is
      getting one of the IDE to Compact-Flash adapters, then a big enough
      (?) Compact-Flash card for your needs and eliminate the hard drive all
      together. At that point you could probably unplug the fan too.

      If you like the Compact Flash idea but don't really want to do it to
      the LS for some reason, you might look into using a Linksys "Slug"
      (NSLU2) for this instead.