OpenLink power saving mode

  • cheungderekca
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
      I have a Linkstation HD 250 and I am going to upgrade it to OpenLink for
      Internet access. Since it is only for my overseas relatives to occasionally
      access the photo or video on the Linkstation, I am wondering how I could
      have the Linkstation running OpenLink to be in power saving mode until it
      received HTTP, SSH or FTP request?

      Thanks
      Derek
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cheungderekca" <derek.cheung@...> wrote:

        > I have a Linkstation HD 250 and I am going to upgrade it to OpenLink for
        > Internet access. Since it is only for my overseas relatives to occasionally
        > access the photo or video on the Linkstation, I am wondering how I could
        > have the Linkstation running OpenLink to be in power saving mode until it
        > received HTTP, SSH or FTP request?

        The hardware is not WOL compatible.

        -A
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 31, 2007
          <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cheungderekca"
          > <derek.cheung@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a Linkstation HD 250 and I am going to upgrade it to
          > > OpenLink for Internet access. Since it is only for my overseas
          > > relatives to occasionally access the photo or video on the
          > > Linkstation, I am wondering how I could have the Linkstation
          > > running OpenLink to be in power saving mode until it received
          > > HTTP, SSH or FTP request?
          >
          > The hardware is not WOL compatible.
          >
          > -A

          The LS only draws about 15 watts anyway. That said, you can do a few
          things to make the hard drive shut down, but I would have to do
          research how to do it with OpenLink. Another cool thing to try is
          getting one of the IDE to Compact-Flash adapters, then a big enough
          (?) Compact-Flash card for your needs and eliminate the hard drive all
          together. At that point you could probably unplug the fan too.

          If you like the Compact Flash idea but don't really want to do it to
          the LS for some reason, you might look into using a Linksys "Slug"
          (NSLU2) for this instead.