Re: Adding HD to USB port

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
      <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

      > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it
      > up to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the
      > ext.3 file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice
      > if this file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

      Since I didn't use the original OS on my LS for very long, somebody
      please correct me if I'm wrong: Can't you format the external hard
      drive as FAT32 in something (other than the LS), and then have both
      WinXP and the LS be happy with it?

      > Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
      > program anything!

      Just run the "firmware installer" program to put the OS on the new drive.

      > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and lubricatibg
      > the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

      Yea, cramming either heavy silicon based grease, or even automotive
      wheel bearing grease into the hub (pull off the sticker and rubber cap
      to access it) seems to do the trick. Not a perfect solution, I'm
      actually in the market for a new fan: Anyone have some good sources
      and or models these days? I want an especially quiet one.
    • bluemax_101
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
        Tried this utility a few times now. First thing that happens is that
        the mouse stop working. I proceed by using the mousepad on the
        notebook. Then this message come up, "Since there is not any
        partition of another type than Windows or DOS (FAT or NTFS), nothing
        can be configured here".

        When plugging in the external HD in to the USB port, I get
        "USB PORT NOT RECOGNISED' message

        I also noticed that this utility is called "Ext2 Installable File
        System 1.10c".
        During installation it refers to ext.2 file system and
        not ext3.

        Am I using the wrong program? Any ideas on what to do?

        Thanks

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Paul Henderson
        <phenders21@...> wrote:

        > You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this
        first and install it. Then plug in the USB drive
        > http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
        >
        > As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works. I would
        recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled
        packages for the PPC architecture is large. You can do a lot more
        with Debian on it. You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

        program anything! Any limit on the size of the HD ?

        > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and
        lubricating the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

        > Didn't know about Debian; will check that out.

        > Thanks again :-)

        > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, Paul Henderson
        >
        > <phenders21@ ...> wrote:
        >
        > > You can plug in an external hdd and have read and read
        capabilities if it's formatted in the ext3 file system.

        > > You can also install a new internal hdd as well. The LS2 only
        supports 3.5" IDE drives and not SATA drive. If you want Debian on
        your LS2, then do it when you buy the new drive (you can do it on

        > your existing drive as well). http://nas-central.org/ index.php/
        Convert_your_ MIPSel_LinkStati on_into_a_full-blown_Debian_ system

        and plug in another external USB drive at the back or it is only
        for backing up?

        > Also, is it possible to replace the HD inside for a bigger one? If
        so, where can I get more info on suitable drives and what needs to be
        done?