Re: [LinkStation_General] Access LinkStation from Internet

  • Joseph McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
      try putting a :445 after the .com
      ie I have a camera it uses port 85 for incomeing web when I log on to iam-geek.com to look at the cammera I need to say iam-geek.com:85

      You need to be to do it from home first!

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cheungderekca"
        <derek.cheung@...> wrote:

        > I thought sharing my Linkstation over Internet was simple but it
        > turned out to be more difficult.

        > 2) at the home router, I forward the following incoming request to
        > the Linkstation:
        >
        > port 135 to 139 (both TCP and UDP)
        > port 445 (TCP)
        >
        > Using a PC on the Internet, I specify \\xxxxx.homelinux.com at the
        > file explorer but it didn't work.

        These Microsoft networking ports are typically blocked out on the
        public Internet, and for good reason, not only is there security
        concerns, but they also generate a lot of excess traffic.

        How you want to deal with this is to tunnel this through a VPN. Since
        a non-Freelinked LS will not do VPN by itself, your best option is to
        purchase a hardware box (i.e. typically a special router or firewall
        like that will do a VPN. Don't be confused by those that can just
        "pass some VPN tunnels" verses one that actually produces a VPN link.
        Of course the later costs more. Then you have to either run some
        client software or a companion box at the other end. So shop
        carefully for a solution that will work for you. With some effort,
        you can make an old PC do this too if you like.

        Other solutions is to NOT try to use Microsoft Networking through the
        Internet, but instead use a more appropriate Internet protocol.
        Unfortunately the only one of these on a factory LS is FTP which is
        also not very secure in that user names & passwords are sent clear
        text, as well as all the data is transferred un-encrypted. Since I
        run a Freelink-like OS on my LS I have SSH running on it where I can
        do secure transfers as well as secure shell access through the
        Internet. It works very well.
      • cheungderekca
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
          Thanks for the reply. As you said, my ISP does "administratively
          filter the port", which prevent me from connecting to my LinkStation
          using the below method.

          I understand I can use FTP or SSH but I would like to have a simple
          method so that my relative oveseas (non-technical) can have a simple
          method to access to my Linkstation where I store all the photos and
          kid video. The LinkStation WEB access seems to be good for this
          purpose but it is not available for my older HD 250. A simple WEB
          based or Window Explorer based method that can list files in my
          LinkStation via the WEB would be great.

          Thanks in advance.

          Derek

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
            <derek.cheung@...> wrote:

            > I understand I can use FTP or SSH but I would like to have a
            > simple method so that my relative oveseas (non-technical) can have
            > a simple method to access to my Linkstation where I store all the
            > photos and kid video.

            Well then maybe FTP actually could work in this case, assuming the
            following is true:

            The pictures, videos, and other files you are sharing don't contain
            any critical information that you would never want released on the
            public Internet.

            MS Internet Explorer will browse FTP sites by simply entering the
            proper URL. For example ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian will give you a
            file listing of Debian Linux's FTP site from inside IE (Internet
            Explorer).

            There is a catch however. Modern versions of IE expect to be able
            to use "PASV" type authentication to connect to FTP sites. Normally
            you can't just put an FTP site behind a NAT router (which you are
            doing with all the port-forwarding business) and have it work. To
            deal with this the ProFTP program that I think is on your LS (at
            least it was on mine) has a place where you can
            enter "masquerade=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in the /etc/proftp/proftp.conf
            file and you have to enter (and keep current) you actual external IP
            address. This might not work for you. You will also need to
            upgrade to at least "Openlink" to gain access to this file.

            The other thing you can do is turn off the "PASV" mode in IE. I did
            it once some time ago on an XP computer. It was a registry hack
            somewhere. If you find it, you can save the branch then send
            the "branch.reg" file to your relatives to simply double-click to
            install. Then IE will work in the older mode.

            Another thing you can do is have them use a diffent ftp client. I'm
            not sure how Firefox handles this situation, but there are some free
            FTP-only programs out there like "cuteFTP" and "WinSCP" that are
            nice drag-n-drop easy to use programs that non technical users can
            learn to use.

            Finally if FTP really won't work for you. You could customize the
            web server in the LS (you would probably at least need to install
            Openlink to do this) so that everything you want them to see is on a
            Website that you create on the computer for them to see. I use a
            Linux program on my LS called imageindex that automatically builds
            nice picture gallery websites around a folder full of pictures for
            me. It is how I do what you are trying to do for my family with my
            Freelink-like converted LS. Here is an example:

            http://wartstew.homelinux.net/SnowStorm

            For that matter, you can check out how FTP works with IE (with the
            proper "Masquerade" entry) at ftp://wartstew.homelinux.net The FTP
            server is slow to come up because I have it starting-on-demand
            using "inetd" so that it doesn't use resources sitting idle. I
            don't use it much.
          • cheungderekca
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 29, 2007
              Thanks for the reply. It is very informative. I plan to try out this
              Openlink thing. Many thanks.