Access LinkStation from Internet

  • cheungderekca
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
      I have a LinkStation HD 250. I know that Buffuloa has a WEB access
      for the new LinkStation live but it is not available for my older
      Linkstation.

      I thought sharing my Linkstation over Internet was simple but it
      turned out to be more difficult. My setup is a broadband DSL with
      changing IP address. I did the following but still doesn't work.
      Appreciate if people can point out my missing steps:

      1) at my home router, I setup dynamic DNS to DyDNS service so that I
      can have a hostname in Internet such as xxxxxx.homelinux.com. I have
      verified that it works

      2) at the home router, I forward the following incoming request to
      the Linkstation:

      port 135 to 139 (both TCP and UDP)
      port 445 (TCP)

      Using a PC on the Internet, I specify \\xxxxx.homelinux.com at the
      file explorer but it didn't work.

      Any suggestion is welcome
    • Joseph McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
        try putting a :445 after the .com
        ie I have a camera it uses port 85 for incomeing web when I log on to iam-geek.com to look at the cammera I need to say iam-geek.com:85

        You need to be to do it from home first!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cheungderekca"
          <derek.cheung@...> wrote:

          > I thought sharing my Linkstation over Internet was simple but it
          > turned out to be more difficult.

          > 2) at the home router, I forward the following incoming request to
          > the Linkstation:
          >
          > port 135 to 139 (both TCP and UDP)
          > port 445 (TCP)
          >
          > Using a PC on the Internet, I specify \\xxxxx.homelinux.com at the
          > file explorer but it didn't work.

          These Microsoft networking ports are typically blocked out on the
          public Internet, and for good reason, not only is there security
          concerns, but they also generate a lot of excess traffic.

          How you want to deal with this is to tunnel this through a VPN. Since
          a non-Freelinked LS will not do VPN by itself, your best option is to
          purchase a hardware box (i.e. typically a special router or firewall
          like that will do a VPN. Don't be confused by those that can just
          "pass some VPN tunnels" verses one that actually produces a VPN link.
          Of course the later costs more. Then you have to either run some
          client software or a companion box at the other end. So shop
          carefully for a solution that will work for you. With some effort,
          you can make an old PC do this too if you like.

          Other solutions is to NOT try to use Microsoft Networking through the
          Internet, but instead use a more appropriate Internet protocol.
          Unfortunately the only one of these on a factory LS is FTP which is
          also not very secure in that user names & passwords are sent clear
          text, as well as all the data is transferred un-encrypted. Since I
          run a Freelink-like OS on my LS I have SSH running on it where I can
          do secure transfers as well as secure shell access through the
          Internet. It works very well.
        • cheungderekca
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
            Thanks for the reply. As you said, my ISP does "administratively
            filter the port", which prevent me from connecting to my LinkStation
            using the below method.

            I understand I can use FTP or SSH but I would like to have a simple
            method so that my relative oveseas (non-technical) can have a simple
            method to access to my Linkstation where I store all the photos and
            kid video. The LinkStation WEB access seems to be good for this
            purpose but it is not available for my older HD 250. A simple WEB
            based or Window Explorer based method that can list files in my
            LinkStation via the WEB would be great.

            Thanks in advance.

            Derek

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 28, 2007
              <derek.cheung@...> wrote:

              > I understand I can use FTP or SSH but I would like to have a
              > simple method so that my relative oveseas (non-technical) can have
              > a simple method to access to my Linkstation where I store all the
              > photos and kid video.

              Well then maybe FTP actually could work in this case, assuming the
              following is true:

              The pictures, videos, and other files you are sharing don't contain
              any critical information that you would never want released on the
              public Internet.

              MS Internet Explorer will browse FTP sites by simply entering the
              proper URL. For example ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian will give you a
              file listing of Debian Linux's FTP site from inside IE (Internet
              Explorer).

              There is a catch however. Modern versions of IE expect to be able
              to use "PASV" type authentication to connect to FTP sites. Normally
              you can't just put an FTP site behind a NAT router (which you are
              doing with all the port-forwarding business) and have it work. To
              deal with this the ProFTP program that I think is on your LS (at
              least it was on mine) has a place where you can
              enter "masquerade=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" in the /etc/proftp/proftp.conf
              file and you have to enter (and keep current) you actual external IP
              address. This might not work for you. You will also need to
              upgrade to at least "Openlink" to gain access to this file.

              The other thing you can do is turn off the "PASV" mode in IE. I did
              it once some time ago on an XP computer. It was a registry hack
              somewhere. If you find it, you can save the branch then send
              the "branch.reg" file to your relatives to simply double-click to
              install. Then IE will work in the older mode.

              Another thing you can do is have them use a diffent ftp client. I'm
              not sure how Firefox handles this situation, but there are some free
              FTP-only programs out there like "cuteFTP" and "WinSCP" that are
              nice drag-n-drop easy to use programs that non technical users can
              learn to use.

              Finally if FTP really won't work for you. You could customize the
              web server in the LS (you would probably at least need to install
              Openlink to do this) so that everything you want them to see is on a
              Website that you create on the computer for them to see. I use a
              Linux program on my LS called imageindex that automatically builds
              nice picture gallery websites around a folder full of pictures for
              me. It is how I do what you are trying to do for my family with my
              Freelink-like converted LS. Here is an example:

              http://wartstew.homelinux.net/SnowStorm

              For that matter, you can check out how FTP works with IE (with the
              proper "Masquerade" entry) at ftp://wartstew.homelinux.net The FTP
              server is slow to come up because I have it starting-on-demand
              using "inetd" so that it doesn't use resources sitting idle. I
              don't use it much.
            • cheungderekca
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 29, 2007
                Thanks for the reply. It is very informative. I plan to try out this
                Openlink thing. Many thanks.