Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Adding HD to USB port

  • pfink
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
      bluemax_101 wrote:
      > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it up
      > to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the ext.3
      > file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice if this
      > file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

      ext3 file system on Windows:

      http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ext3_in_windows
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
        <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it
        > up to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the
        > ext.3 file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice
        > if this file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

        Since I didn't use the original OS on my LS for very long, somebody
        please correct me if I'm wrong: Can't you format the external hard
        drive as FAT32 in something (other than the LS), and then have both
        WinXP and the LS be happy with it?

        > Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
        > program anything!

        Just run the "firmware installer" program to put the OS on the new drive.

        > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and lubricatibg
        > the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

        Yea, cramming either heavy silicon based grease, or even automotive
        wheel bearing grease into the hub (pull off the sticker and rubber cap
        to access it) seems to do the trick. Not a perfect solution, I'm
        actually in the market for a new fan: Anyone have some good sources
        and or models these days? I want an especially quiet one.
      • bluemax_101
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
          Tried this utility a few times now. First thing that happens is that
          the mouse stop working. I proceed by using the mousepad on the
          notebook. Then this message come up, "Since there is not any
          partition of another type than Windows or DOS (FAT or NTFS), nothing
          can be configured here".

          When plugging in the external HD in to the USB port, I get
          "USB PORT NOT RECOGNISED' message

          I also noticed that this utility is called "Ext2 Installable File
          System 1.10c".
          During installation it refers to ext.2 file system and
          not ext3.

          Am I using the wrong program? Any ideas on what to do?

          Thanks

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Paul Henderson
          <phenders21@...> wrote:

          > You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this
          first and install it. Then plug in the USB drive
          > http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
          >
          > As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works. I would
          recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled
          packages for the PPC architecture is large. You can do a lot more
          with Debian on it. You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

          program anything! Any limit on the size of the HD ?

          > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and
          lubricating the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

          > Didn't know about Debian; will check that out.

          > Thanks again :-)

          > --- In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, Paul Henderson
          >
          > <phenders21@ ...> wrote:
          >
          > > You can plug in an external hdd and have read and read
          capabilities if it's formatted in the ext3 file system.

          > > You can also install a new internal hdd as well. The LS2 only
          supports 3.5" IDE drives and not SATA drive. If you want Debian on
          your LS2, then do it when you buy the new drive (you can do it on

          > your existing drive as well). http://nas-central.org/ index.php/
          Convert_your_ MIPSel_LinkStati on_into_a_full-blown_Debian_ system

          and plug in another external USB drive at the back or it is only
          for backing up?

          > Also, is it possible to replace the HD inside for a bigger one? If
          so, where can I get more info on suitable drives and what needs to be
          done?