Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Adding HD to USB port

  • Paul Henderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
      You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this first and install it.  Then plug in the USB drive
      http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

      As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works.  I would recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled packages for the PPC architecture is large.  You can do a lot more with Debian on it.  You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
        bluemax_101 wrote:
        > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it up
        > to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the ext.3
        > file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice if this
        > file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

        ext3 file system on Windows:

        http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ext3_in_windows
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
          <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it
          > up to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the
          > ext.3 file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice
          > if this file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

          Since I didn't use the original OS on my LS for very long, somebody
          please correct me if I'm wrong: Can't you format the external hard
          drive as FAT32 in something (other than the LS), and then have both
          WinXP and the LS be happy with it?

          > Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
          > program anything!

          Just run the "firmware installer" program to put the OS on the new drive.

          > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and lubricatibg
          > the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

          Yea, cramming either heavy silicon based grease, or even automotive
          wheel bearing grease into the hub (pull off the sticker and rubber cap
          to access it) seems to do the trick. Not a perfect solution, I'm
          actually in the market for a new fan: Anyone have some good sources
          and or models these days? I want an especially quiet one.
        • bluemax_101
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
            Tried this utility a few times now. First thing that happens is that
            the mouse stop working. I proceed by using the mousepad on the
            notebook. Then this message come up, "Since there is not any
            partition of another type than Windows or DOS (FAT or NTFS), nothing
            can be configured here".

            When plugging in the external HD in to the USB port, I get
            "USB PORT NOT RECOGNISED' message

            I also noticed that this utility is called "Ext2 Installable File
            System 1.10c".
            During installation it refers to ext.2 file system and
            not ext3.

            Am I using the wrong program? Any ideas on what to do?

            Thanks

            <phenders21@...> wrote:

            > You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this
            first and install it. Then plug in the USB drive
            > http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
            >
            > As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works. I would
            recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled
            packages for the PPC architecture is large. You can do a lot more
            with Debian on it. You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

            lubricating the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.