Adding HD to USB port

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
      Hi

      I have a 160GB HD-HLAN MIPSel (LS2). Running out of space. Can I and
      plug in another external USB drive at the back or it is only for
      backing up?

      Also. is it possible to replace the HD inside for a bigger one?
      If so, where can I get more info on suitable drives and what needs to
      be done?

      Many thanks...
    • Paul Henderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
        You can plug in an external hdd and have read and read capabilities if it's formatted in the ext3 file system.
        You can also install a new internal hdd as well.  The LS2 only supports 3.5" IDE drives and not SATA drive.  If you want Debian on your LS2, then do it when you buy the new drive (you can do it on your existing drive as well).  http://nas-central.org/index.php/Convert_your_MIPSel_LinkStation_into_a_full-blown_Debian_system

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
          Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it up
          to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the ext.3
          file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice if this
          file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

          Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
          program anything! Any limit on the size of the HD ?

          Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and lubricatibg
          the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

          Didn't know about Debian; will check that out.

          Thanks again :-)

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Paul Henderson

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2007
            You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this first and install it.  Then plug in the USB drive
            http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html

            As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works.  I would recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled packages for the PPC architecture is large.  You can do a lot more with Debian on it.  You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

            <phenders21@ ...> wrote:

            > You can plug in an external hdd and have read and read capabilities
            if it's formatted in the ext3 file system.
            > You can also install a new internal hdd as well. The LS2 only
            supports 3.5" IDE drives and not SATA drive. If you want Debian on
            your LS2, then do it when you buy the new drive (you can do it on
            your existing drive as well). http://nas-
            central.org/ index.php/ Convert_your_ MIPSel_LinkStati on_into_a_ full-
            blown_Debian_ system

            All new Yahoo! Mail
          • pfink
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
              bluemax_101 wrote:
              > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it up
              > to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the ext.3
              > file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice if this
              > file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

              ext3 file system on Windows:

              http://gentoo-wiki.com/Ext3_in_windows
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 28, 2007
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
                <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Paul. I fitted an old 40GB into a cheapo case and hooked it
                > up to the USB port and formatted it. Was done automatically in the
                > ext.3 file system without any prompt from me. Would have been nice
                > if this file system worked with XP also; but never mind.

                Since I didn't use the original OS on my LS for very long, somebody
                please correct me if I'm wrong: Can't you format the external hard
                drive as FAT32 in something (other than the LS), and then have both
                WinXP and the LS be happy with it?

                > Will try fitting a larger IDE drive but I hope I don't need to
                > program anything!

                Just run the "firmware installer" program to put the OS on the new drive.

                > Whilst it is all in pieces, I will also try cleaning and lubricatibg
                > the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.

                Yea, cramming either heavy silicon based grease, or even automotive
                wheel bearing grease into the hub (pull off the sticker and rubber cap
                to access it) seems to do the trick. Not a perfect solution, I'm
                actually in the market for a new fan: Anyone have some good sources
                and or models these days? I want an especially quiet one.
              • bluemax_101
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 1, 2007
                  Tried this utility a few times now. First thing that happens is that
                  the mouse stop working. I proceed by using the mousepad on the
                  notebook. Then this message come up, "Since there is not any
                  partition of another type than Windows or DOS (FAT or NTFS), nothing
                  can be configured here".

                  When plugging in the external HD in to the USB port, I get
                  "USB PORT NOT RECOGNISED' message

                  I also noticed that this utility is called "Ext2 Installable File
                  System 1.10c".
                  During installation it refers to ext.2 file system and
                  not ext3.

                  Am I using the wrong program? Any ideas on what to do?

                  Thanks

                  <phenders21@...> wrote:

                  > You can still use a an ext3 drive with Windows, just download this
                  first and install it. Then plug in the USB drive
                  > http://www.fs-driver.org/download.html
                  >
                  > As for internal HDD, I know up to a 750 GB drive works. I would
                  recommend Debian, easy to learn and the number of precompiled
                  packages for the PPC architecture is large. You can do a lot more
                  with Debian on it. You don't have to flash the firmware so its safe.

                  lubricating the bearings and quiten that noisy fan.