Re: LS2 and OpenLink 0.52 bricks to 6 LED blinking after Samba 3 installed

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 24, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stannusw" <stannusw@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to Linux. Following the guide on linkstationwiki, I manage to
      > install Openlink 0.52 and reboot successfully.
      >
      > But after Samba 3 installed and reboot, the LS2 runs about 5 min and
      > turns off with red LED blinking 6 times. During that 5 min, I can
      > telnet with "root" account but I don't know how to fix it.
      >
      > Had tried the firmware flasher, but it couldn't find the LS2.
      >
      > Please help. Thanks.

      Sounds like the watchdog timer is not being turned off anymore. Don't know much
      about OpenLink, especially the LS2 version (runs BusyBox?), but see if "dmesg" works
      (you might need to do "dmesg |more" to read it all. Also see if /var/log exists and see
      if there are any thing that looks like a boot log in there (view it with "more
      <filename>". Check these logs for anything that looks like it is hanging with an error.

      My guess is that something (like samba trying to load!) is stopping the boot process
      before the watchdog gets turned off. If /etc/init.d exists, try moving "samba" out of it
      (mv /etc/init.d/samba /etc/samba.saved) to disable it.
    • stannusw
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2007
        > Sounds like the watchdog timer is not being turned off anymore.
        Don't know much
        > about OpenLink, especially the LS2 version (runs BusyBox?), but see
        if "dmesg" works
        > (you might need to do "dmesg |more" to read it all. Also see
        if /var/log exists and see
        > if there are any thing that looks like a boot log in there (view it
        with "more
        > <filename>". Check these logs for anything that looks like it is
        hanging with an error.

        > My guess is that something (like samba trying to load!) is stopping
        the boot process
        > before the watchdog gets turned off. If /etc/init.d exists, try
        moving "samba" out of it
        > (mv /etc/init.d/samba /etc/samba.saved) to disable it.

        I finally find it was caused by the file libpthread-0.10.so as
        the "ls" command was failed too. Then I download and install this
        file from Askwar's site, problem is solved.

        Anyway, thanks for your tips.