Re: KuroBox firmware for LS1

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

      > Has anyone tried to Flash their LS! firmware with the
      > one from the
      > Kurobox?
      > http://nas-central.org/index.php/Turn_your_LinkStation_into_a_Kuro_Box_%
      > 28PowerPC%29
      >
      > If so, is there any real advantage? Are there more
      > precompiled PPC
      > packages for OpenLink, FreeLink or Debian?
      >
      > ================
      >
      > I'd head on over to
      > <http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page> if I
      > were you. Check out the articles on the various
      > projects.
      >
      > Personally, I flashed my ppc to kurobox and, although
      > it works nicely as a NAS (still), installing a
      > full-fledged OS is pretty much beyond me. Straight
      > from a linkstation, however, they've made the process
      > very simple.
      >
      > Of course, it all depends on what you want but, if I
      > were to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone kuro.
      >
      > ymmv,
      > -Craig

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

      I had the Kuro kernel on my LS for awhile (as in only the "real" flash image part of the
      OS that lives in flash), and it worked and the kernel did more stuff, but it only ran the
      USB port at 1.1 speed. I never tried the rest of the OS because I went the Freelink
      direction (actually it's predecessor) before that and consider anything else a step
      backwards for me.

      Beware that traditionally the Kuroboxes have been PPC based (are they still?) while
      many of the LS's are based on other processors. Make sure you know what you have
      or you'll surely "brick" your LS!