LS2 and OpenLink 0.52 bricks to 6 LED blinking after Samba 3 installed

  • stannusw
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2007
      I'm new to Linux. Following the guide on linkstationwiki, I manage to
      install Openlink 0.52 and reboot successfully.

      But after Samba 3 installed and reboot, the LS2 runs about 5 min and
      turns off with red LED blinking 6 times. During that 5 min, I can
      telnet with "root" account but I don't know how to fix it.

      Had tried the firmware flasher, but it couldn't find the LS2.

      Please help. Thanks.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 24, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stannusw" <stannusw@...> wrote:

        > I'm new to Linux. Following the guide on linkstationwiki, I manage to
        > install Openlink 0.52 and reboot successfully.
        >
        > But after Samba 3 installed and reboot, the LS2 runs about 5 min and
        > turns off with red LED blinking 6 times. During that 5 min, I can
        > telnet with "root" account but I don't know how to fix it.
        >
        > Had tried the firmware flasher, but it couldn't find the LS2.
        >
        > Please help. Thanks.

        Sounds like the watchdog timer is not being turned off anymore. Don't know much
        about OpenLink, especially the LS2 version (runs BusyBox?), but see if "dmesg" works
        (you might need to do "dmesg |more" to read it all. Also see if /var/log exists and see
        if there are any thing that looks like a boot log in there (view it with "more
        <filename>". Check these logs for anything that looks like it is hanging with an error.

        My guess is that something (like samba trying to load!) is stopping the boot process
        before the watchdog gets turned off. If /etc/init.d exists, try moving "samba" out of it
        (mv /etc/init.d/samba /etc/samba.saved) to disable it.
      • stannusw
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 25, 2007
          > Sounds like the watchdog timer is not being turned off anymore.
          Don't know much
          > about OpenLink, especially the LS2 version (runs BusyBox?), but see
          if "dmesg" works
          > (you might need to do "dmesg |more" to read it all. Also see
          if /var/log exists and see
          > if there are any thing that looks like a boot log in there (view it
          with "more
          > <filename>". Check these logs for anything that looks like it is
          hanging with an error.

          > My guess is that something (like samba trying to load!) is stopping
          the boot process
          > before the watchdog gets turned off. If /etc/init.d exists, try
          moving "samba" out of it
          > (mv /etc/init.d/samba /etc/samba.saved) to disable it.

          I finally find it was caused by the file libpthread-0.10.so as
          the "ls" command was failed too. Then I download and install this
          file from Askwar's site, problem is solved.

          Anyway, thanks for your tips.