Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Older linkstation

  • Wladston Viana
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
      Paul,

      Looks like you know a lot about putting the NAS to work ... Could you please share your knowdlege and complete the list on the wiki ?

      http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Getting_started (I first wrote it for the Kurobox wiki, but then it got merged with the linkstation one ;) please fill in the "applications" section!)

      On 10/19/07, Paul Henderson <phenders21@...> wrote:

      It can run a GUI through ice Window Manager (X11) and VNC.  Open Office uses X11 on POSIX systems for its forms, but I am unsure that it will work and my guess is probably not without some deliberation.  Open Office is available on many OS platforms so why not just install it straight onto your existing OS.

      Most people install custom firmware and full Linux Distro's onto their NAS's to take advantage of multimedia features and processes that should be run continuously on standard PC's.  iTunes Server (mt-daapd) for sharing music from one local server over a LAN using iTune's clients or Rhythmic Box for Linux, BitTorrent, FTP/VPN servers for remote access, Asterisk (popular open source VOIP), KAID (for tunneling LAN enabled console games over the WAN), uPNP servers for DNLA media clients  ... the list goes on.  The point in doing so is that NAS's typically draw less than ~20-25W of power compared to a 200-400W desktop (laptops draw less power).  These features are handy when you have more than one client on your LAN.

      Some more experienced users take it the next step by adding USB ALSA compatible sound cards and USB WiFi (only available through the full OS kernel stack and not OpenLink).  They then throw it into their car and use rsync to sync media over WiFi (at 3:00 am in the morning assuming you have a car and is within WiFi range of your WiFi LAN).  They then have music on the go.

      • Yes, you can just use a portable MP3 player but you have to manually sync it when your music library changes.
      • Yes, you can just you a Laptop/PDA/Mobile phone and pay for 3G cellular WAN (if its in your area) and use Orb if they have a windows PC at home that they want to leave on all the time, or LinuxMCE on a KDE ubuntu box that they leave on all the time (Linux MCE probably won't install on a debian OS based NAS.)

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
        wrote:

        > What are the major benefits to installing a linux on the device.
        > And If you can't control it via a web interface how do you modify the settings

        Some people install other web interfaces like Webmin. I instead use individual Web
        interfaces like "Swat" with Samba (Windows filesharing suite), but mostly you can log
        into a command line interface using telnet or ssh (better), or get real fancy and run a
        remote desktop server like VNC that gives you a nice graphical remote desktop that
        you can pull up anywhere in the world where there is an Internet connection.

        >.... Is there a limit to the number of programs that can be loaded?

        Yes and no. If you overfill the meager 64 Megs of memory too much the whole thing
        will start slowing down. I usually have my LS doing all sorts of things at the same
        time however. It's quite wonderful.

        > No key board - no monitor?

        You know, I always wanted to try one of those USB video adapters on this thing.
        Then just add a USB keyboard and mouse, oops I guess I'll need a USB hub while I'm
        at it. I did get a USB to RS232 adapter running on it and was able to pull up a terminal
        session through it but don't actually use it that way. It could be useful as a "safe
        mode" if I mess up the OS too much for network connectivity someday.

        > Also is there a size limit to the hard drive in the LS1 - (well as long as I might be
        hacking it ...)

        Don't know. I think people have put 500+ Gig drives in them without issues.

        > Can it run a gui?

        Yes, I've even got some screen shots posted over in the photos section of this group
        from a long time ago to give you an idea ("Debian on Linkstation" album). The GUI is
        all run "remote desktop" mode using VNC, to other computers (both Linux &
        Windows). It works very nicely!

        > Can it run open office?

        I'm sure you would grow old waiting for it to start up! One of the newer, more
        powerful LS's would be better. I run lighter office suite programs on it like Abiword
        and Gnumeric, (Siag would probably be good too) but in practice don't use my LS for
        this propose very much.

        > Does this free up the usb front/back issue?

        A "real" Linux like Debian will set you free of all the quirks of that web based GUI/OS
        shipped with the LS. Of course at a cost of a steep learning curve for those
        unfamiliar with Linux or other POSIX based OS's

        > You can then have a fat32 drive attached?

        Sure. In fact you can do NTFS too, but it will be tricky to get write access to it.

        > Buy 750GB hd first?

        If you want. I would pay attention to power consumption (and therefore heat output)
        of anything you might want to put internally into the LS.

        In short "standard/real" Linux on a LS can be quite useful. This was the whole idea I
        had when I bought mine years ago. I through away the factory OS withing first
        month of owning it and installed Debian GNU/Linux on it and loved it ever since.