How do I find an expert to help with a Debian + software install?

  • aliishaq
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 19, 2007
      This work can be done remotely, or over the phone, so in the spirit of
      letting experienced people deal with problems that can be solved
      remotely: are you an expert who might be willing to take up this
      challenge, or do you know of a good place to get bids for this work?

      Basically, I have an HG250 (PPC) Buffalo Linkstation NAS connected to
      my home network. I installed Freelink firmware v1.11, Debian v2.4, and
      Webmin before I ran out of time.

      When I run apt-get upgrade the process aborts because it needs the
      kernel to version 2.6 while when I try to install the upgrade, as
      described for PPC online using the webinstaller, I get a checksum
      error and the webinstaller aborts.

      Also I instaled webmin and the Samba module within it and have made
      users and done everything that the samba file sharing module wiki
      tells me, but my windoes xp computer does not see the share...

      So, for this job, I am looking for someone to bid on how much they
      would charge me to help do the following:

      1. Update Debian to Kernel version 2.6
      2. Get Samba shares working and accessible to other users on the network
      3. Install and get torrentflux or other comparable torrent client working
      4. Be able to connect external USB drives
      5. get uPNP server working
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 23, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "aliishaq" <aliishaq@...> wrote:

        > Basically, I have an HG250 (PPC) Buffalo Linkstation NAS connected to
        > my home network. I installed Freelink firmware v1.11, Debian v2.4, and
        > Webmin before I ran out of time.

        Note I'm not using Freelink, but instead it's predecessor which was a Debian "Woody"
        image assembled by a Japanese person back in the beginning of time as for as the LS
        is concerned. Since it is Debian, it as since been greatly enhanced and updated to
        the current Debian "stable" (etch), thanks to Debian's good package management
        tools. That said, even though I'm not exactly Freelink, I should be close to it.

        > When I run apt-get upgrade the process aborts because it needs the
        > kernel to version 2.6 while when I try to install the upgrade

        Yes, the Debian "Unstable" and "Testing" versions now require the 2.6 version kernel.
        You can (as I have for now) downgrade slightly to Debian "stable" (Etch) which will
        run fine on the 2.4 series kernel. To do this, edit the /etc/apt/sources.list file replacing
        all words that say "unstable" or "testing" with "stable". They may also be using the
        Toy Story names like "Sid", in which case replace it with "etch". Then run "apt-get
        update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade" and you will end up with Debian "Stable".
        The current "Stable" isn't too out-of-date at the moment, at least not as bad as it
        usually is.

        > Also I installed webmin and the Samba module within it and have made
        > users and done everything that the samba file sharing module wiki
        > tells me, but my windoes xp computer does not see the share...

        I don't use Webmin myself (even though I'm the one that originally suggested it to
        this users group!), I use "swat" instead which is an optional component of the Samba
        suite to configure Samba. To use it, install it (apt-get install swat) then
        edit /etc/inetd.conf and uncoment the line at the bottom that says "swat", then
        restart inetd (/etc/init.d/inetd restart). After this you can bring up the Samba config
        page from any browser that can reach your machine at port 901
        (http://linkstationIP:901). It is really quite nice.

        That said, all these programs do is edit the file /etc/samba/smb.conf anyway, so you
        might try posting it and we can take a look and tell you what is wrong with it.

        You also normally need to create users that match your Windows users and set the
        passwords for access, but the shares should at least show up even without this step.
        They keep changing the "backend" method of how this is done, I still use the old
        command of "smbpasswd -a <username>", and enter all the passwords manually
        which still works even though there are now better methods, like I think you can new
        use the Microsoft tools from a Windows machine to do this if you have things set up
        right, I've never done it however. I've gotten real rusty with Windows these days.

        > 1. Update Debian to Kernel version 2.6

        I know this post is a few days old, but I guess I too need to upgrade my PPC based LS
        to 2.6, so keep reminding me and maybe I'll work on it this weekend or so and let you
        know what I find out. I've been a little scared about it and have been putting it off but
        would really like to get a few things working again. (like DHCP server and USB CD
        writers, that don't work on my currently installed kernel.

        > 2. Get Samba shares working and accessible to other users on the network

        Samba is under constant change "under-the-hood", as it tries to keep up with all the
        changes in implementation over on the Microsoft side, but post your smb.conf file
        and we'll have a look. Perhaps Webmin isn't correctly configuring the version of
        Samba you have.

        > 3. Install and get torrentflux or other comparable torrent client working

        Hmm Torrentflux looks pretty neat. Putting the client on a web page looks like a
        good idea. I just worry about all the overhead with PHP and MySQL needed to be
        running in the backend. I've been just using bittoranado directly on my LS, either in
        the X based GUI using VNC or more often just the command-line version, (inside
        of "screen" so it will run by itself detached from a terminal session) because
        bittorrent seems to tax the poor LS pretty heavily so I try to keep things a light as
        possible, especially if I'm running more than one torrent. Maybe I should give it a try
        anyway. Anyone care to comment about how well all this would likely run on a LS
        with 64 megs of RAM? At least it should be better than trying to run one of those
        many Java based clients.

        > 4. Be able to connect external USB drives

        That should be working. Although my DVD recorder isn't detected with the factory
        2.4 kernel, although it did with the Kurobox kernel, but at USB 1.1 speeds. You do
        know that you have to manually "mount" these drives however unless you install a
        service that does this automatically for you? I don't have one working on my LS at
        the moment, probably another thing I should work on, perhaps after the 2.6 kernel
        upgrade so it will be working with udev which should be less problematic. This all
        seems to work good on a Ubuntu running Laptop I have, so I'll see how they are doing
        it. Hopefully it isn't a Gnome-desktop only feature.

        > 5. get uPNP server working

        I'm probably not the right guy for this sort of thing. What are you trying to do
        exactly, make the LS be a media server to some uPNP capable client devices? If so
        lots of others have done this on a LS, I'm just not one of them.

        -------

        Anyway, I'll be real busy the later part of this week, but I can help you work through
        some if this as long as you are willing to learn and work on some of it too. All this
        Unix/Linux stuff has a steep learning curve, but I've found it quite rewarding.

        I don't check messages on this group quite as well as I used to, and generally get
        them from a RSS feed to my yahoo custom page, but they are delayed be a couple
        of days by the time they show up, so feel free to email me directly at
        wartstew@... if you don't get fast enough response on this group. I'll keep
        posting back to this group so the discussion can remain public.

        James