Re: Older linkstation

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Joseph McLaughlin <jwm8351@...> wrote:
      > Other than it is cool & it can be done etc... What are the major benefits to installing a
      linux on the device.

      It's already running "Hard Hat Linux" out-of-the-box.

      Careful, you must identify the device before you start modifying it.

      http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page (on the right)

      > And If you can't control it via a web interface how do you modify the settings.... Is there
      a limit to the number of programs that can be loaded?

      No

      > No key board - no monitor?

      Via VNC (optional)

      > Also is there a size limit to the hard drive in the LS1 - (well as long as I might be
      hacking it ...)

      750 GB is known to work

      - I use ubuntu via the GUI and my trusty xp box (for quicken and such)

      You can convert from Debian (nas-central.org's "FreeLink") to Ubuntu,

      http://nas-central.org/index.php/Ubuntu_installation_guide

      but you might want to take a look at the OpenLink firmware first.

      -Andre
    • Joseph McLaughlin
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 18, 2007
        Can it run a gui?
        Can it run open office?
        Does this free up the usb front/back issue?
        You can then have a fat32 drive attached?

        Buy 750GB hd first?

        > Other than it is cool & it can be done etc... What are the major benefits to installing a
        linux on the device.

        It's already running "Hard Hat Linux" out-of-the-box.

        Careful, you must identify the device before you start modifying it.

        http://www.nas- central.org/ index.php/ Main_Page (on the right)

        > And If you can't control it via a web interface how do you modify the settings.... Is there
        a limit to the number of programs that can be loaded?

        No

        > No key board - no monitor?

        Via VNC (optional)

        > Also is there a size limit to the hard drive in the LS1 - (well as long as I might be
        hacking it ...)

        750 GB is known to work

        - I use ubuntu via the GUI and my trusty xp box (for quicken and such)

        You can convert from Debian (nas-central. org's "FreeLink") to Ubuntu,

        http://nas-central. org/index. php/Ubuntu_ installation_ guide

        but you might want to take a look at the OpenLink firmware first.

        -Andre

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Paul Henderson
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
          It can run a GUI through ice Window Manager (X11) and VNC.  Open Office uses X11 on POSIX systems for its forms, but I am unsure that it will work and my guess is probably not without some deliberation.  Open Office is available on many OS platforms so why not just install it straight onto your existing OS.

          Most people install custom firmware and full Linux Distro's onto their NAS's to take advantage of multimedia features and processes that should be run continuously on standard PC's.  iTunes Server (mt-daapd) for sharing music from one local server over a LAN using iTune's clients or Rhythmic Box for Linux, BitTorrent, FTP/VPN servers for remote access, Asterisk (popular open source VOIP), KAID (for tunneling LAN enabled console games over the WAN), uPNP servers for DNLA media clients  ... the list goes on.  The point in doing so is that NAS's typically draw less than ~20-25W of power compared to a 200-400W desktop (laptops draw less power).  These features are handy when you have more than one client on your LAN.

          Some more experienced users take it the next step by adding USB ALSA compatible sound cards and USB WiFi (only available through the full OS kernel stack and not OpenLink).  They then throw it into their car and use rsync to sync media over WiFi (at 3:00 am in the morning assuming you have a car and is within WiFi range of your WiFi LAN).  They then have music on the go.

          • Yes, you can just use a portable MP3 player but you have to manually sync it when your music library changes.
          • Yes, you can just you a Laptop/PDA/Mobile phone and pay for 3G cellular WAN (if its in your area) and use Orb if they have a windows PC at home that they want to leave on all the time, or LinuxMCE on a KDE ubuntu box that they leave on all the time (Linux MCE probably won't install on a debian OS based NAS.)

          Does this free up the usb front/back issue?
          You can then have a fat32 drive attached?

          Buy 750GB hd first?

          > Other than it is cool & it can be done etc... What are the major benefits to installing a
          linux on the device.

          It's already running "Hard Hat Linux" out-of-the-box.

          Careful, you must identify the device before you start modifying it.

          http://www.nas- central.org/ index.php/ Main_Page (on the right)

          > And If you can't control it via a web interface how do you modify the settings.... Is there
          a limit to the number of programs that can be loaded?

          No

          > No key board - no monitor?

          Via VNC (optional)

          > Also is there a size limit to the hard drive in the LS1 - (well as long as I might be
          hacking it ...)

          750 GB is known to work

          - I use ubuntu via the GUI and my trusty xp box (for quicken and such)

          You can convert from Debian (nas-central. org's "FreeLink") to Ubuntu,

          http://nas-central. org/index. php/Ubuntu_ installation_ guide

          but you might want to take a look at the OpenLink firmware first.

          -Andre

          Do You Yahoo!?
          http://mail. yahoo.com

          All new Yahoo! Mail
        • Wladston Viana
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 19, 2007
            Paul,

            Looks like you know a lot about putting the NAS to work ... Could you please share your knowdlege and complete the list on the wiki ?

            http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Getting_started (I first wrote it for the Kurobox wiki, but then it got merged with the linkstation one ;) please fill in the "applications" section!)

            On 10/19/07, Paul Henderson <phenders21@...> wrote:

> [...]

            It's already running "Hard Hat Linux" out-of-the-box.

            Careful, you must identify the device before you start modifying it.

            http://www.nas- central.org/ index.php/ Main_Page (on the right)

            > And If you can't control it via a web interface how do you modify the settings.... Is there
            a limit to the number of programs that can be loaded?

            No

            > No key board - no monitor?

            Via VNC (optional)

            > Also is there a size limit to the hard drive in the LS1 - (well as long as I might be
            hacking it ...)

            750 GB is known to work

            - I use ubuntu via the GUI and my trusty xp box (for quicken and such)

            You can convert from Debian (nas-central. org's "FreeLink") to Ubuntu,

            http://nas-central. org/index. php/Ubuntu_ installation_ guide

            but you might want to take a look at the OpenLink firmware first.

            Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
            Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
            Computer Science student (UFMG)
            Visit the project: s1mp3.org
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 23, 2007
              wrote:

              > What are the major benefits to installing a linux on the device.
              > And If you can't control it via a web interface how do you modify the settings

              Some people install other web interfaces like Webmin. I instead use individual Web
              interfaces like "Swat" with Samba (Windows filesharing suite), but mostly you can log
              into a command line interface using telnet or ssh (better), or get real fancy and run a
              remote desktop server like VNC that gives you a nice graphical remote desktop that
              you can pull up anywhere in the world where there is an Internet connection.

              >.... Is there a limit to the number of programs that can be loaded?

              Yes and no. If you overfill the meager 64 Megs of memory too much the whole thing
              will start slowing down. I usually have my LS doing all sorts of things at the same
              time however. It's quite wonderful.

              > No key board - no monitor?

              You know, I always wanted to try one of those USB video adapters on this thing.
              Then just add a USB keyboard and mouse, oops I guess I'll need a USB hub while I'm
              at it. I did get a USB to RS232 adapter running on it and was able to pull up a terminal
              session through it but don't actually use it that way. It could be useful as a "safe
              mode" if I mess up the OS too much for network connectivity someday.

              > Also is there a size limit to the hard drive in the LS1 - (well as long as I might be
              hacking it ...)

              Don't know. I think people have put 500+ Gig drives in them without issues.

              > Can it run a gui?

              Yes, I've even got some screen shots posted over in the photos section of this group
              from a long time ago to give you an idea ("Debian on Linkstation" album). The GUI is
              all run "remote desktop" mode using VNC, to other computers (both Linux &
              Windows). It works very nicely!

              > Can it run open office?

              I'm sure you would grow old waiting for it to start up! One of the newer, more
              powerful LS's would be better. I run lighter office suite programs on it like Abiword
              and Gnumeric, (Siag would probably be good too) but in practice don't use my LS for
              this propose very much.

              > Does this free up the usb front/back issue?

              A "real" Linux like Debian will set you free of all the quirks of that web based GUI/OS
              shipped with the LS. Of course at a cost of a steep learning curve for those
              unfamiliar with Linux or other POSIX based OS's

              > You can then have a fat32 drive attached?

              Sure. In fact you can do NTFS too, but it will be tricky to get write access to it.

              > Buy 750GB hd first?

              If you want. I would pay attention to power consumption (and therefore heat output)
              of anything you might want to put internally into the LS.

              In short "standard/real" Linux on a LS can be quite useful. This was the whole idea I
              had when I bought mine years ago. I through away the factory OS withing first
              month of owning it and installed Debian GNU/Linux on it and loved it ever since.