Re: [LinkStation_General] KuroBox firmware for LS1

  • Craig Olofson
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2007
      Has anyone tried to Flash their LS! firmware with the
      one from the
      Kurobox?
      http://nas-central.org/index.php/Turn_your_LinkStation_into_a_Kuro_Box_%
      28PowerPC%29

      If so, is there any real advantage? Are there more
      precompiled PPC
      packages for OpenLink, FreeLink or Debian?

      ================

      I'd head on over to
      <http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page> if I
      were you. Check out the articles on the various
      projects.

      Personally, I flashed my ppc to kurobox and, although
      it works nicely as a NAS (still), installing a
      full-fledged OS is pretty much beyond me. Straight
      from a linkstation, however, they've made the process
      very simple.

      Of course, it all depends on what you want but, if I
      were to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone kuro.

      ymmv,
      -Craig

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 23, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

        > Has anyone tried to Flash their LS! firmware with the
        > one from the
        > Kurobox?
        > http://nas-central.org/index.php/Turn_your_LinkStation_into_a_Kuro_Box_%
        > 28PowerPC%29
        >
        > If so, is there any real advantage? Are there more
        > precompiled PPC
        > packages for OpenLink, FreeLink or Debian?
        >
        > ================
        >
        > I'd head on over to
        > <http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page> if I
        > were you. Check out the articles on the various
        > projects.
        >
        > Personally, I flashed my ppc to kurobox and, although
        > it works nicely as a NAS (still), installing a
        > full-fledged OS is pretty much beyond me. Straight
        > from a linkstation, however, they've made the process
        > very simple.
        >
        > Of course, it all depends on what you want but, if I
        > were to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone kuro.
        >
        > ymmv,
        > -Craig

        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        I had the Kuro kernel on my LS for awhile (as in only the "real" flash image part of the
        OS that lives in flash), and it worked and the kernel did more stuff, but it only ran the
        USB port at 1.1 speed. I never tried the rest of the OS because I went the Freelink
        direction (actually it's predecessor) before that and consider anything else a step
        backwards for me.

        Beware that traditionally the Kuroboxes have been PPC based (are they still?) while
        many of the LS's are based on other processors. Make sure you know what you have
        or you'll surely "brick" your LS!