buffalo hdh-120 & web

  • Joseph McLaughlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2007
      Can you connect this beast to the web - so my daughter can read&update files safely from accross town or accross country.

    • dfhgddzsfd
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 17, 2007
        If you are using an open linux firmware on your Linkstation you can
        install an FTP server package on it and forward port 21 to the LAN IP
        on your router. You can also use domain registration like dyndns.org
        if you have a dynamic IP. Your kids could then FTP into it using
        windows explorer, finder or nautilus depending on what os they have.
        You don't need an ftp client neccessarily.

        If not, you would have to have your kids VPN into your home network.
        It is easy to setup in Windows 2k or newer but I never got it to work
        over WAN cause my roomate's router is sh*t.

        If you are using a windows computer that you leave powered on all the
        time, try downloading ORB from www.orb.com. It is a free and cool
        program that lets you stream media content as well as view files over
        the internet using the https protocol. You can then mount (or map) a
        network drive to the SMB share of your Linkstation on the Windows PC so
        that your kids can get at the files. ORB is nice because you use a web
        browser as your client. For stream videos, make sure its on a fast
        computer otherwise it won't work.

        If you have linux or mac, you're out of luck cause orb is only for
        windows. You'll have to setup your pc to accept VPN connections. It
        works best if your router supports IPSec or L2PT passthrough. If you
        have a windows PC, search for "Setup VPN Windows" (without quotes) in
        google.

        Any other questions, pm me phenders21@.... ORB is by far the
        easiest and coolest of the options I mentioned.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Joseph McLaughlin

        ____________
        > Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest
        shows on Yahoo! TV.
        > http://tv.yahoo.com/

      • Craig Olofson
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 18, 2007
          Has anyone tried to Flash their LS! firmware with the
          one from the
          Kurobox?
          http://nas-central.org/index.php/Turn_your_LinkStation_into_a_Kuro_Box_%
          28PowerPC%29

          If so, is there any real advantage? Are there more
          precompiled PPC
          packages for OpenLink, FreeLink or Debian?

          ================

          I'd head on over to
          <http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page> if I
          were you. Check out the articles on the various
          projects.

          Personally, I flashed my ppc to kurobox and, although
          it works nicely as a NAS (still), installing a
          full-fledged OS is pretty much beyond me. Straight
          from a linkstation, however, they've made the process
          very simple.

          Of course, it all depends on what you want but, if I
          were to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone kuro.

          ymmv,
          -Craig

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 23, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Craig Olofson <craig_b_o@...> wrote:

            > Has anyone tried to Flash their LS! firmware with the
            > one from the
            > Kurobox?
            > http://nas-central.org/index.php/Turn_your_LinkStation_into_a_Kuro_Box_%
            > 28PowerPC%29
            >
            > If so, is there any real advantage? Are there more
            > precompiled PPC
            > packages for OpenLink, FreeLink or Debian?
            >
            > ================
            >
            > I'd head on over to
            > <http://www.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page> if I
            > were you. Check out the articles on the various
            > projects.
            >
            > Personally, I flashed my ppc to kurobox and, although
            > it works nicely as a NAS (still), installing a
            > full-fledged OS is pretty much beyond me. Straight
            > from a linkstation, however, they've made the process
            > very simple.
            >
            > Of course, it all depends on what you want but, if I
            > were to do it over again, I wouldn't have gone kuro.
            >
            > ymmv,
            > -Craig

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            I had the Kuro kernel on my LS for awhile (as in only the "real" flash image part of the
            OS that lives in flash), and it worked and the kernel did more stuff, but it only ran the
            USB port at 1.1 speed. I never tried the rest of the OS because I went the Freelink
            direction (actually it's predecessor) before that and consider anything else a step
            backwards for me.

            Beware that traditionally the Kuroboxes have been PPC based (are they still?) while
            many of the LS's are based on other processors. Make sure you know what you have
            or you'll surely "brick" your LS!