Access to RSYNC data using stock firmware

  • bitsmithsys
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 25, 2007
      Hello,

      I would like to use the LinkStation Pro to backup the data on a Linux
      server. I've been able to get the RSync backup to work and even get
      data back via RSync. The problem I'm having is that if I want to
      browse the data directly via the LinkStation share, I can get at the
      files at the root of the backup, but cannot access any of the
      subdirectories which RSync creates. I suspect that RSync may be
      creating these directories as root and the LS/Samba users don't have
      access. This is, of course, only a guess since I'm fairly new to
      Linux and RSync. Also, I would to stick with the stock LinkStation
      firmware as these are not my LS units.

      Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    • Andrew Hodgson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2007

        How did you do this? - I mean, get Rsync working on the Linkstation -
        even if you can't access the data?

        One issue I find when using Rsync with a Windows machine as the source,
        is that sometimes Windows based permissions try and go onto the Linux
        machine, and this causes a problem. I always ensure that permissions
        are not copied over in the Rsync.

        Thanks.
        Andrew.

        I would like to use the LinkStation Pro to backup the data on a Linux
        server. I've been able to get the RSync backup to work and even get
        data back via RSync. The problem I'm having is that if I want to
        browse the data directly via the LinkStation share, I can get at the
        files at the root of the backup, but cannot access any of the
        subdirectories which RSync creates. I suspect that RSync may be
        creating these directories as root and the LS/Samba users don't have
        access. This is, of course, only a guess since I'm fairly new to
        Linux and RSync. Also, I would to stick with the stock LinkStation
        firmware as these are not my LS units.

        Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • David Smith
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 28, 2007
          For testing, I've been using the DeltaCopy utility for Windows which I downloaded from www.synametrics.com.  There is a GUI client that I was able to muddle around with and get to work.  One trick that I discovered is that the virtual directory is the a combination of disk sand folder names (ie "disk1_share"). No username/password is required.

           I can backup and restore this way, however, the restore is all or nothing.  I'd like to be able to browes the files via Samba to selectively restore files if necessary.