Re: Rsync on stock firmware

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Hodgson"
      <andrew@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >

      > I can see that in the stock firmware, there is a backup function which
      > searches for other Linkstations. Does anyone know if this uses Rsync,
      > and if it is possible to emulate the "other Linkstation" using a Rsync
      > config file on another server? I want to rsync files from a remote
      > server to my Linkstation as backup.
      >

      > Thanks.
      >
      > Andrew.

      rsync itself, by default, has no ability to "search for other devices"
      so this would have to be an added in service. looking at my running
      processes, the binary is called ls_sonar.

      There doesn't seem to be alot of documentation on this service, but
      the most seems to be in this document from the linkstation wiki
      downloads.linkstationwiki.net/Uploads/OldUploads/LS_Pro_temporary/LSPro_Softw.rtf

      I hope you have the knowledge to go down this road, as it would be a
      great accomplishment to put together a way to communicate and allow
      backups to be sent to the device, however, if you think its too much,
      you may find it easier to either ftp transfer the data.

      FTP is built in of course, unfortunately NFS is not built into the
      kernel. I would imagine though, that if you enable SSH access with
      this, you could setup rsync functionality, although I've never
      personally tried.
      Follow these steps for SSH setup:
      http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/viewtopic.php?p=34723#p34723

      regards,