Re: Type of File system on USB disk

  • purdyd_at_wisheights
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lramsey36" <lramsey2@...>
      wrote:

      > I have a Buffalo 120 with an attached USB 250GB disk. The 250GB disk
      > is failing, and I wanted to try and access the drive from a LINUX
      > (Ubuntu) PC or using some Windows tool that maps/mounts the drive.
      > Ubuntu won't mount the file system. Nor can I access using Ex2FS under
      > Windows. Can anyoone offer a suggestion? Thanks.

      You need to use something called fixext2magic (more or less the right
      name). Post your question at the linkstationwiki.net site & use it
      for reference, too. Search the forums there...
    • Ira
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
        it's an ext3 filesystem

        I have a Buffalo 120 with an attached USB 250GB disk. The 250GB disk
        is failing, and I wanted to try and access the drive from a LINUX
        (Ubuntu) PC or using some Windows tool that maps/mounts the drive.
        Ubuntu won't mount the file system. Nor can I access using Ex2FS under
        Windows. Can anyoone offer a suggestion? Thanks.

        [truncated by sender]
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ira <gangalee@...> wrote:

          > it's an ext3 filesystem

          fix_ext2_magic is for you, from <http://linkstationwiki.net>

          -Andre
        • lramsey36
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10" <lalunas10@...>
            wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ira <gangalee@> wrote:
            > >
            > > it's an ext3 filesystem
            >
            > fix_ext2_magic is for you, from <http://linkstationwiki.net>
            >
            > -Andre

            I hate to sound like a moron, but what do I need to install in a
            Windows envorinment to get this to "make" it's executable?

            Thanks.
            LER
          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lramsey36" <lramsey2@...> wrote:
              > > fix_ext2_magic is for you, from <http://linkstationwiki.net>
              > I hate to sound like a moron, but what do I need to install in a
              > Windows envorinment to get this to "make" it's executable?

              The easiest way is to boot the PC into a Linux "Live CD" (Knoppix, ...), and use one of the
              precompiled executables.

              -Andre