Type of File system on USB disk

  • lramsey36
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
      I have a Buffalo 120 with an attached USB 250GB disk. The 250GB disk
      is failing, and I wanted to try and access the drive from a LINUX
      (Ubuntu) PC or using some Windows tool that maps/mounts the drive.
      Ubuntu won't mount the file system. Nor can I access using Ex2FS under
      Windows. Can anyoone offer a suggestion? Thanks.
    • purdyd_at_wisheights
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lramsey36" <lramsey2@...>
        wrote:

        > I have a Buffalo 120 with an attached USB 250GB disk. The 250GB disk
        > is failing, and I wanted to try and access the drive from a LINUX
        > (Ubuntu) PC or using some Windows tool that maps/mounts the drive.
        > Ubuntu won't mount the file system. Nor can I access using Ex2FS under
        > Windows. Can anyoone offer a suggestion? Thanks.

        You need to use something called fixext2magic (more or less the right
        name). Post your question at the linkstationwiki.net site & use it
        for reference, too. Search the forums there...
      • Ira
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
          it's an ext3 filesystem

          I have a Buffalo 120 with an attached USB 250GB disk. The 250GB disk
          is failing, and I wanted to try and access the drive from a LINUX
          (Ubuntu) PC or using some Windows tool that maps/mounts the drive.
          Ubuntu won't mount the file system. Nor can I access using Ex2FS under
          Windows. Can anyoone offer a suggestion? Thanks.

          [truncated by sender]
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ira <gangalee@...> wrote:

            > it's an ext3 filesystem

            fix_ext2_magic is for you, from <http://linkstationwiki.net>

            -Andre
          • lramsey36
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 15, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lalunas10" <lalunas10@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ira <gangalee@> wrote:
              > >
              > > it's an ext3 filesystem
              >
              > fix_ext2_magic is for you, from <http://linkstationwiki.net>
              >
              > -Andre

              I hate to sound like a moron, but what do I need to install in a
              Windows envorinment to get this to "make" it's executable?

              Thanks.
              LER
            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 16, 2007
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lramsey36" <lramsey2@...> wrote:
                > > fix_ext2_magic is for you, from <http://linkstationwiki.net>
                > I hate to sound like a moron, but what do I need to install in a
                > Windows envorinment to get this to "make" it's executable?

                The easiest way is to boot the PC into a Linux "Live CD" (Knoppix, ...), and use one of the
                precompiled executables.

                -Andre