Need advice on updating my Linkstation Pro

  • Christopher Drum
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2007
      New to the group, but was hoping someone could point me in the right
      direction for some troubles I'm having. Long story short, I had a
      Linkstation that bricked itself for no discernible reason. I did no
      modifications to it, it was just a stock box running perfectly until
      the day it decided not to. Sent it back to Buffalo and after a while
      they sent me back a brand new Linkstation Pro. Life was good until IT
      TOO died on me for no reason. Couldn't mount the volumes of it, and
      the drive seemed to make unusual noises. The noises have gone, but the
      trouble remains. At one point I could reach the web config page for
      the box and it seemed to suggest that I needed to reformat the drive;
      however now I cannot even get to that web page. I swear, these boxes
      just sit and run and that's it. I put no stress on them, no custom
      software, nothing. Just turn it on when I need it, use it, turn it off
      later.

      So, Buffalo says that my warranty does not extend to the new box; I am
      stuck with the original warranty, which means it is not OUT of
      warranty which means I feel free to tinker with this thing to get it
      working again.

      I'm looking through the Linkstation Wiki pages and I see that FreeLink
      seems like a fairly easy to install package. However, I'm not having
      such great luck so far...

      I plugged the unit into the ethernet port of my laptop and could not
      ping it on the default 192.162.11.150. However, if I plug it into my
      router I can ping it. I cannot, however, bring up the web interface to
      the box in a browser. It is possible that my crossover cable is not
      actually a crossover cable and that that is why I cannot ping it
      locally. It may also be that the unit isn't grabbing that default
      address, though the instructions for getting it to do that seem a
      little convoluted.

      NASNavigator sees the drive through the router, but the FreeLink
      LSUpdater (trying initrd first, as per the wiki instructions) does not
      see the drive at all.

      So, I cannot even get past stage one right now. I could boot into
      Linux (don't know a whole lot about it, but I can muddle my way
      through) if that would give me an alternative to install the software.

      I'm feeling pretty stuck and I really just want to finally get my
      money's worth out of this box, because it seems like everyone enjoys
      it and I feel left out of the party!

      Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance you can offer,
      Christopher Drum

      Pretty much what I want to be able to do right now is wipe the
      Linkstation Pro entirely and start from scratch. Truthfully, I'd even
      be fine with first resetting it to factory fresh conditions (if
      possible) before pursuing a FreeLink install.
    • Andrew Hodgson
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2007

        If you can ping it through the router, have you tried putting the
        original firmware back on? I have had this trouble, and when the web
        config wasn't accessible, I was able to put the original firmware back
        on just by downloading it from the Buffalo site.

        You have to disable the firewall on your PC, since I think it tries to
        get something from it remotely.

        Andrew.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Christopher Drum
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2007
          I appreciate the response, but need to clarify that I have never modded my LinkStation in any
          way, whatsoever. The firmware is the stock firmware, and now that the unit is out of warranty
          I want to change to a new firmware. Buffalo's own firmware software (which looks pretty
          much identical to the update software provided by FreeLink) gives the same troubles as the
          FreeLink installer, i.e. doesn't see the drive where other options do.

          Christopher