Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Asus WL-700gE Or LinkStation or linksys

  • Nat Fairbanks
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
      Being a linkstation owner I'm somewhat biased but I think a
      linkstation is the best choice by far. A linksys slug is too
      expensive and under powered for it's capabilities. A slug plus a
      decent usb enclosure costs almost as much as a Kurobox (which is a
      Linkstation sold without a hard drive). I'm less familiar with the
      Asus router but from looking at it's reviews and stats it appears the
      new generation Linkstations are more powerful although the Asus router
      comes with the wireless router features. The down side appears to be
      the web interface which is repeatedly refered to as difficult to use.

      The Linkstation default firmware is easy to use but wouldn't support
      bittorrent or a news reader. With firmware from the linkstation wiki
      ( http://linkstationwiki.net ) you can get a very versatile linux box.
      I'd say get the Linkstation first choice, Asus second and slug third.

      -Nat

      On 8/3/07, hyperkills <hyperkills@...> wrote:
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hyperkills"
      > <hyperkills@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi guys sorry for the first noob question but i was wondering which of
      > > these to go for. I already have a wireless router im happy with so
      > > that feature of the Asus does not interest me. I think the linkstation
      > > will be better but need some advice.
      > >
      > > I wanted Something to share files between Pcs, to access files
      > > remotely, to run a torrent client, to run a newsgroup client. Maybe in
      > > the future run VOIP or perhaps a fax server or something.
      > >
      > > I have limited knowledge of Unix and have always been used to a
      > > graphical interface. How hard is setting up a linkstation going to be
      > > for me and what version should i buy. Or should i stick to the Asus
      > > have only the torrent feature as that is what lead me here.
      >
      > Or should i go for the linksys unslug firmware.
      > >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • hyperkills
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
        Hi thanks for that but it does seem the slug is easy to flash. The
        asus comes with some features ready to use. The Linkstation seems the
        hardest to flash and use.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Nat Fairbanks"