Asus WL-700gE Or LinkStation

  • hyperkills
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
      Hi guys sorry for the first noob question but i was wondering which of
      these to go for. I already have a wireless router im happy with so
      that feature of the Asus does not interest me. I think the linkstation
      will be better but need some advice.

      I wanted Something to share files between Pcs, to access files
      remotely, to run a torrent client, to run a newsgroup client. Maybe in
      the future run VOIP or perhaps a fax server or something.

      I have limited knowledge of Unix and have always been used to a
      graphical interface. How hard is setting up a linkstation going to be
      for me and what version should i buy. Or should i stick to the Asus
      have only the torrent feature as that is what lead me here.
    • hyperkills
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hyperkills"
        <hyperkills@...> wrote:

        > Hi guys sorry for the first noob question but i was wondering which of
        > these to go for. I already have a wireless router im happy with so
        > that feature of the Asus does not interest me. I think the linkstation
        > will be better but need some advice.
        >
        > I wanted Something to share files between Pcs, to access files
        > remotely, to run a torrent client, to run a newsgroup client. Maybe in
        > the future run VOIP or perhaps a fax server or something.
        >
        > I have limited knowledge of Unix and have always been used to a
        > graphical interface. How hard is setting up a linkstation going to be
        > for me and what version should i buy. Or should i stick to the Asus
        > have only the torrent feature as that is what lead me here.

        Or should i go for the linksys unslug firmware.

      • Nat Fairbanks
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2007
          Being a linkstation owner I'm somewhat biased but I think a
          linkstation is the best choice by far. A linksys slug is too
          expensive and under powered for it's capabilities. A slug plus a
          decent usb enclosure costs almost as much as a Kurobox (which is a
          Linkstation sold without a hard drive). I'm less familiar with the
          Asus router but from looking at it's reviews and stats it appears the
          new generation Linkstations are more powerful although the Asus router
          comes with the wireless router features. The down side appears to be
          the web interface which is repeatedly refered to as difficult to use.

          The Linkstation default firmware is easy to use but wouldn't support
          bittorrent or a news reader. With firmware from the linkstation wiki
          ( http://linkstationwiki.net ) you can get a very versatile linux box.
          I'd say get the Linkstation first choice, Asus second and slug third.

          -Nat

          On 8/3/07, hyperkills <hyperkills@...> wrote:
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "hyperkills"
          > <hyperkills@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi guys sorry for the first noob question but i was wondering which of
          > > these to go for. I already have a wireless router im happy with so
          > > that feature of the Asus does not interest me. I think the linkstation
          > > will be better but need some advice.
          > >
          > > I wanted Something to share files between Pcs, to access files
          > > remotely, to run a torrent client, to run a newsgroup client. Maybe in
          > > the future run VOIP or perhaps a fax server or something.
          > >
          > > I have limited knowledge of Unix and have always been used to a
          > > graphical interface. How hard is setting up a linkstation going to be
          > > for me and what version should i buy. Or should i stick to the Asus
          > > have only the torrent feature as that is what lead me here.
          >
          > Or should i go for the linksys unslug firmware.
          > >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • hyperkills
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2007
            Hi thanks for that but it does seem the slug is easy to flash. The
            asus comes with some features ready to use. The Linkstation seems the
            hardest to flash and use.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Nat Fairbanks"