ftp problems

  • pans1234
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
      I now have root access but i cant seem to ftp into my linkstation as
      root.i am trying to tranfers a tar.gz file. i can logon as any other
      user to the shares i have setup via the web interface tho

      1.how do i tranfer these files other than ftp ?

      2.where are there shares located that the web interface creates?

      many thanks
    • Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
        the simple way is to copy the files over from a
        windows/mac box to a share, then as root, move the
        file over from it in the shell.

        if you really need to ftp as root, you may check to
        make sure there's no line saying 'root' in
        /etc/ftpuser or /etc/ftpusers file (forget the actual
        name)

        Wilson
        --- pans1234 <pans1234@...> wrote:

        > I now have root access but i cant seem to ftp into
        > my linkstation as
        > root.i am trying to tranfers a tar.gz file. i can
        > logon as any other
        > user to the shares i have setup via the web
        > interface tho
        >
        > 1.how do i tranfer these files other than ftp ?
        >
        > 2.where are there shares located that the web
        > interface creates?
        >

        > many thanks

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • pans1234
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 16, 2004
          hi thanks for the info. Problem now solved and i found what i was
          looking for right under my nose (that's what ya get for being a slave
          to microsoft for years i suppose)i am getting to grips with linux now
          at long last

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Wilson <sonsondei@y...>
          wrote:
          > the simple way is to copy the files over from a
          > windows/mac box to a share, then as root, move the
          > file over from it in the shell.
          >
          > if you really need to ftp as root, you may check to
          > make sure there's no line saying 'root' in
          > /etc/ftpuser or /etc/ftpusers file (forget the actual
          > name)
          >
          > Wilson
          > --- pans1234 <pans1234@y...> wrote:
          >

          > > I now have root access but i cant seem to ftp into
          > > my linkstation as
          > > root.i am trying to tranfers a tar.gz file. i can
          > > logon as any other
          > > user to the shares i have setup via the web
          > > interface tho
          > >
          > > 1.how do i tranfer these files other than ftp ?
          > >
          > > 2.where are there shares located that the web
          > > interface creates?
          > >

          > > many thanks

          > http://my.yahoo.com
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 13, 2005

            I had a backup server script running on a separate computer perform
            backups from two Retrospect clients to the Linkstation. I've decided
            upon a simpler set where each former client will run its own copy of
            Retrospect Desktop; however, I want each of the two computers to back
            up to the same individual backup set as before. I copied the catalog
            files from the computer that originally ran the backup server scripts
            to each respective former client computer and installed Retrospect
            Desktop on each one and configured the backup sets. However, I'm
            completely unable to access the backup sets: Retrospect just hangs
            trying to log into the ftp server.

            The same thing happens when I try to create a new internet backup set
            using the NAS device. But I can log in via ftp using an ftp client
            just fine!

            Any ideas?

            Thanks,
            Marc