Re: Replacing (upgrading) the hard drive.

  • chan_dom_au
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 29, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Ferdman"
      <vferdman@...> wrote:

      > Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
      > this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been done.
      > Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
      > one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
      > image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition to the
      > full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
      > of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb drive in
      > there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by sticking the
      > two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
      > putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I dreaming? Is
      > it too good to be true?
      >
      > Please help!
      >
      > --
      > Vladimir

      Have you tried this link, should have all you need.

      http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

    • meister_tommac
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chan_dom_au"
        <chan_dom_au@...> wrote:

        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Ferdman"
        > <vferdman@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
        > > this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been done.
        > > Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
        > > one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
        > > image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition to the
        > > full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
        > > of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb drive in
        > > there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by sticking the
        > > two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
        > > putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I dreaming? Is
        > > it too good to be true?
        > >
        > > Please help!
        > >
        > > --
        > > Vladimir
        >

        > Have you tried this link, should have all you need.

        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

        ...or this one, if you have a Linkstation Pro
        Model:http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro

        I imaged my 250 GB LS Pro to a 500 GB harddrive via ghost, but always
        ran into some boot up problems. Repartition via "GParted-Linux-CD" is
        a good thing and can also fix some problems on your disk.

        At the end I only imaged "sda1" (bootpartition) and created the other
        partitions via fdisk
        (http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro)
        At the moment my LS is working fine.
      • stufq
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "meister_tommac"
          <tommac@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chan_dom_au"
          > <chan_dom_au@> wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Ferdman"
          > > <vferdman@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
          > > > this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been
          done.
          > > > Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
          > > > one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
          > > > image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition
          to the
          > > > full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
          > > > of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb
          drive in
          > > > there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by
          sticking the
          > > > two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
          > > > putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I
          dreaming? Is
          > > > it too good to be true?
          > > >
          > > > Please help!
          > > >
          > > > --
          > > > Vladimir
          > >

          > > Have you tried this link, should have all you need.

          http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

          > ...or this one, if you have a Linkstation Pro

          Model:http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro

          > I imaged my 250 GB LS Pro to a 500 GB harddrive via ghost, but always
          > ran into some boot up problems. Repartition via "GParted-Linux-CD" is
          > a good thing and can also fix some problems on your disk.
          >
          > At the end I only imaged "sda1" (bootpartition) and created the other
          > partitions via fdisk
          > (http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro)
          > At the moment my LS is working fine.

          I have try with linux few times but had lot of problems, so i
          partition new drive under Windows then make an image of first
          partition of LS drive then i just restore it on new one, and copy half
          of my movies under Winxp then I put new drive in LS and it worked !
          The best and fastest way to put new drive in LS !!!