Replacing (upgrading) the hard drive.

  • Vladimir Ferdman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 26, 2007
      Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
      this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been done.
      Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
      one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
      image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition to the
      full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
      of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb drive in
      there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by sticking the
      two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
      putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I dreaming? Is
      it too good to be true?

      Please help!

      --
      Vladimir
    • chan_dom_au
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 29, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Ferdman"
        <vferdman@...> wrote:

        > Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
        > this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been done.
        > Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
        > one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
        > image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition to the
        > full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
        > of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb drive in
        > there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by sticking the
        > two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
        > putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I dreaming? Is
        > it too good to be true?
        >
        > Please help!
        >
        > --
        > Vladimir

        Have you tried this link, should have all you need.

        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

      • meister_tommac
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 29, 2007
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chan_dom_au"
          <chan_dom_au@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Ferdman"
          > <vferdman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
          > > this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been done.
          > > Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
          > > one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
          > > image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition to the
          > > full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
          > > of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb drive in
          > > there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by sticking the
          > > two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
          > > putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I dreaming? Is
          > > it too good to be true?
          > >
          > > Please help!
          > >
          > > --
          > > Vladimir
          >

          > Have you tried this link, should have all you need.

          http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

          ...or this one, if you have a Linkstation Pro
          Model:http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro

          I imaged my 250 GB LS Pro to a 500 GB harddrive via ghost, but always
          ran into some boot up problems. Repartition via "GParted-Linux-CD" is
          a good thing and can also fix some problems on your disk.

          At the end I only imaged "sda1" (bootpartition) and created the other
          partitions via fdisk
          (http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro)
          At the moment my LS is working fine.
        • stufq
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "meister_tommac"
            <tommac@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "chan_dom_au"
            > <chan_dom_au@> wrote:
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Vladimir Ferdman"
            > > <vferdman@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello. I looked around the archives and only saw one reference to
            > > > this. Hard to believe no one tried this. I believe it's been
            done.
            > > > Has anyone successfully upgraded the hard drive to a larger capacity
            > > > one? If so, what are the steps? Do you just ghost (or otherwise
            > > > image) the old drive onto the new one and stretch the partition
            to the
            > > > full size of the new drive? I am running seriousely low on capacity
            > > > of my 120GB Linkstation and and thinking of swapping a 500gb
            drive in
            > > > there. Wonder what's involved. Can I do it on my PC by
            sticking the
            > > > two drives into the EDE slots and imaging old one to new one, then
            > > > putting the new one in and having it just boot up? Am I
            dreaming? Is
            > > > it too good to be true?
            > > >
            > > > Please help!
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Vladimir
            > >

            > > Have you tried this link, should have all you need.

            http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Upgrade_%28or_replace%29_the_existing_LinkStation_hard_drive

            > ...or this one, if you have a Linkstation Pro

            Model:http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro

            > I imaged my 250 GB LS Pro to a 500 GB harddrive via ghost, but always
            > ran into some boot up problems. Repartition via "GParted-Linux-CD" is
            > a good thing and can also fix some problems on your disk.
            >
            > At the end I only imaged "sda1" (bootpartition) and created the other
            > partitions via fdisk
            > (http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro)
            > At the moment my LS is working fine.

            I have try with linux few times but had lot of problems, so i
            partition new drive under Windows then make an image of first
            partition of LS drive then i just restore it on new one, and copy half
            of my movies under Winxp then I put new drive in LS and it worked !
            The best and fastest way to put new drive in LS !!!